Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelGermanyOther - Germany · 1 decade ago

Is the german spoken in switzerland very different from the german in germany??

i am from bonn,germany and will be moving to switzerland soon.i'm very concerned about the dialects matter (and also would like to keep my german accent,i'm afarid that won't be possible as i pick up easily)

Favorite Answer

Don't worry.In 18 von 26 Kantonen wird Deutsch mit schweizer Aktzent gesprochen.Franzoesisch in Genf / Waadt / Neuenburg / und im Jura.

Italienisch meist im Tessin und der Kanton Graubuenden ist mehrsprachig ( italienisch,franzoesisch,deutsch und raetoromanisch.)And of course you will pick up the tongue very,very quick.

I never ,ever had any problems when i went to Switzerland.

Source(s): Was born in Freiburg and as you might know it is only a short trip to Basel and Switzerland.

High German is spoken in schools even though dialects are for every-day use so they should be able to understand you and you understand them.

Hello,

I am in Germany.

Yes it is quite different. My boyfriend is German and finds Swiss German hard to understand at times. The accent is also very different - I work with German kids and once we had a Swiss girl - she sounded very different to her German peers.

I think you will keep your German accent - how long are you moving there for?

Just concentrate on your accent and you will keep it!

Have fun in Switzerland!

xx

Source(s): xx Don't be suprised if you have trouble understanding them!

You should be able to catch on fairly easily if you're fluent in German.