Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelEurope (Continental)Other - Europe · 1 decade ago

Is the german spoken in switzerland very different from the german in germany?

i am from bonn,germany and will be moving to switzerland soon.i'm very concerned about the dialects matter (and also would like to keep my german accent,i'm afarid that won't be possible as i pick up easily)

Favorite Answer

Sure there is an different accent in Switzerland, but I´m sure you will keep your own accent (perhaps with some small exceptions).

I give you an example, I´m from Finland, speaking Swedish (not quite the same Swedish as in Sweden). Many of us Swedish speaking Finns and Finns moved in the 60s to Sweden, but although they have lived so long in Sweden, you still can here were they are coming from.

So don´t be afraid, you will keep your German identity, good luck.

Yes the dialect is very different in Switzerland as it is in going from dorf to dorf in Germany, but it is still part of the Germanic language,( as long as you are in the northern part of the country, germans call it Switzerdeutsch), I lived in northern Bavaria for over 20 year and traveled all over, Switzerland is great, and if you like the Bavarian or Swabish life style you will love it there. just dont say or think that Germans are better than they are then your life will be hell. have fun

High German is spoken in schools even though dialects are for every-day use so they should be able to understand you and you understand them.

wegedem muss du it trurig sie.

I was there for about a year and after that people started to pick on my Swiss accent. So yes you will somehow add a swiss flair to your hoch deutsch.