mexican pudin or podin or pudding?

does anyone have a recipe for a mexican dessert called pudin? or podin? it has the texture of extra firm tofu. is it wheat flour pudding? is that the english translation? help from anyone who knows what i'm talking about.

Update:

recipes in english please.

Update 2:

IT'S NOT FLAN.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

MEXICAN CHOCOLATE PUDDING:

Grate one round of Mexican chocolate (I prefer Ibarra) into a heavy saucepan and add a pinch of salt and 1/3 cup warm water. Stir into a brisk paste, adding cinnamon, nutmeg, and chili powder to taste. Bring the mixture to a boil on medium heat, stirring constantly, and remove from heat.

Add one ounce of bittersweet chocolate, broken into bits. Stir until the chocolate melts.

Add 1 3/4 cup half and half, stirring carefully to integrate it fully.

Place three tablespoons of cornstarch in a small bowl and mix with 1/4 cup half and half to form a smooth paste. Stir this into the chocolate mixture, and whisk it to make sure that it is well mixed.

Put the pan back onto medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, until it thickens. You want to use a heat proof spatula and slowly move it around the whole pan, scraping down the sides, bringing stuff up from the bottom, and keeping the pudding in motion.

It will start to thicken. Turn the heat down as low as it can go (take it off the burner if you are unfortunate enough to have an electric stove) and stir briskly for one minute, eliminating lumps. Add one tablespoon of vanilla.

Pour the pudding into receptacles. I used wine glasses, but, you know, whatever.

To avoid the formation of a skin, put a piece of cling wrap over the top, pressing it down against the pudding to form a seal. Put the pudding in the fridge to cool for at least two hours.

Do not mess with the pudding.

Let the pudding do its own thing. The mixture well set and firm up if you leave well enough alone—do not stir it, jiggle it, or otherwise muck about with it. Especially do not try to sneak a bit, because it will mess up the entire setting process and create a runny mess.

The pudding can hang out for up to two days, on the off chance that you don't eat it before then.

I greatly enjoyed my pudding—I had one as soon as it had set and another for breakfast. Mmm.

Here's what I liked about it:

Texture: the pudding had a firm, creamy texture without any lumps. Yes, it resembled commercial pudding, but the spices and cacao nibs from the Mexican chocolate gave it a hint of crunch and graininess which I really liked. Using the cling film to eliminate the skin turned out to be awesome.

Flavour: the pudding was more complex than a standard chocolate. The chili added a little bit of heat, while the cinnamon and nutmeg provided spicy background notes. The addition of bittersweet chocolate made it even more rich and chocolately, although it could have been darker for my taste. The decision not to add sugar turned out to be a good one: Mexican chocolate is sweet enough to use plain.

There are a few things I would like to experiment with, including using heavy cream instead of half and half, and maybe trying to make a layered pudding...ideally one with a flan like layer and a Mexican chocolate layer. I imagine that it would also be really good topped with fresh whipped cream and fruit or grated semisweet chocolate.

• 1 decade ago

Capirotada (mexican Bread Pudding)

45 min 15 min prep

Change to: servings US Metric

4 cups water

3 cinnamon sticks

1 cup sugar

1 (12 ounce) box raisins

brandy

1 loaf French bread, toasted

2 cups American cheese, grated

1 cup pecans, chopped

Place raisins in a small bowl and pour enough Brandy so that raisins plump up.

In a small sauce pan, add water, cinnamon sticks, and sugar. Boil over medium heat for about 10 minutes.

Remove cinnamon sticks and pour raisins into mix.

Place toasted bread slices in 9 x 13 baking pan.

Layer ingredients: cheese, pecans, bread -- etc. Repeat steps until all bread is used. (Save some pecans for last topping).

Pour cinnamon mix over bread pudding and sprinkle pecans on top.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Mexican Flan

Makes: 12

I N G R E D I E N T S

1 cup sugar

6 egg yolks (room temperature)

2 whole eggs (room temperature)

24 ounces evaporated milk

3/4 cup sugar

2 teaspoons Mexican vanilla extract

I N S T R U C T I O N S

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Place the 1 cup sugar in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and caramelize over medium heat At first, swirl the pan over the heat, but do not stir (this will cause it to clump). After about 8 minutes, when the sugar has begun to liquefy, stir with a heavy spoon. When the caramel turns light brown, quickly (and carefully burns are painful) pour into a 2-quart, high-sided metal flan mold. Tip pan so caramel coats the bottom and up sides of mold. Work fast; caramel hardens quickly.

Using a whisk, beat together the egg yolks, eggs, evaporated milk, sugar and vanilla. Mixture should be well-blended but not frothy. Pour into the caramelized mold. Cover with the flan mold lid and secure with clips. (this prevents the top from overcooking). Place the mold in a larger pan (such as a roasting pan) and pour in about 1 1/2 inches of hot water.

Place on the bottom rack of the preheated oven and bake for approximately 65 minutes. After 55 minutes, open the oven door and test the flan by inserting the thinnest knife you own into the middle of the flan. Do not go all the way to the bottom. If large curds cling to the knife the flan is not yet done. Give it about 10 minutes longer. If just a film of custard clings to the knife, the flan is done. When you jiggle the mold, the custard should shimmer in the middle but look cooked around the edge.

Remove from oven and cool mold on a rack. The flan will continue to cook for about an hour after being removed from the oven. During this time it will set up. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before unmolding.

Unmold

Run a thin, sharp knife around the edge of the flan. Move the pan from side to side to see if the flan is slipping and free from the edges of the pan. Place a flat serving platter with a raised rim on top of the mold. Holding the platter and mold together tightly, flip them over. The flan should slip easily onto the platter, along with most of the caramel sauce. Use a spoon to remove more caramel and spoon it around the custard. The bottom of the pan will have a hard layer of caramel still on it.

Serve

Cut flan into wedges spooning caramel sauce over each slice.

don't know if you were talking about the bread pudding,which we normally serve at lent or easter. Or the Mexican Flan which is a commonly loved dessert. hope this helps

• 4 years ago

i like both mexican candy and pudding. theres like thousands of mexican candies to choose from.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

1 unid. queso crema

1 latas leche condensada

3 unids. huevos

1 latas leche de vaca

1 cchta. vainilla

1/2 cchta. sal

ponga todos los ingredientes en una licuadora y batalos bien. acaramelice un molde con dos cucharadas de azucar. vierta el licuado en el molde y ponga el molde en el horno a baño de maria por una hora o hasta que al injertar un palillo salga limpio

350 se le dice baño de maria al poner el molde dentro de otro molde mas grande al que se le ha echado agua

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Flan?

Link to photo below.

• DeeJay
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

http://www.thatsmyhome.com/texmex/desserts/mexican...

Mexican bread pudding would have that texture you are talking about, hope this helps.

=)

• marf
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

I think you mean flan.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

beaner puddin ahahahahahahha

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.