Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

What does this mean "My karma ran over your dogma"?

Favorite Answer

It's a quite clever comparison of the contradicting philosophies of Christian dogma and eastern spiritualism.

Christians believe that faith in Jesus Christ will absolve them of the consequences of sin. This is dogmatic teaching, because it requires a person to ignore real life experiences, including social structure, judicial systems, and parental teachings, along with biblical examples, proverbs, and parables. (You reap what you sow.)

Eastern philosophy teaches that each person is responsible for their own actions, and that one accumulates good or bad karma (or "reaction") according to their own desires and actions.

"My karma ran over your dogma" suggests that the eastern philosophy is superior, so much so that it "runs over" the philosophy of dogma easily, just as a "car" can easily run over a "dog".

• Kyle5 years agoReport

If eastern philosophy teaches that people are responsible for their own actions, then why aren't college know-it-all hippies libertarian?

Many people love the idea of owning a dog but one thing that they have to keep in mind often times, is that the dog needs to be trained. While the pet may look heart-breakingly cute when it's in a shelter or at the pound, picking out the dog is only the first part of the relationship between dog owner and the animal. Many people don't understand that they have to put time and effort into socializing the dog.

An unsocialized dog will intimidate others, tear up the home, and will create an environment that can become so bad that the it will have to be returned. Many times when dogs have to be returned to shelters or to other resources, it will end up euthanized, which is very heartbreaking. All of this can be spared if a person learns the various techniques in order to socialize the dog.

One thing that they have to understand is that the he wants to be told what to do. It's in the canine nature to follow a leader. The dog will be more than willing to obey the leadership of its master. Here's a look at some common techniques that are used in dog training:

"Dog Whispering"

This is a technique that has been around for a while, but gained national notoriety over the last 10 years. Some people might hear this term and wonder how in the world whispering to a dog can train it! Whispering isn't meant to be taken literally in this case. As trainers have shown, whispering is a term that refers to connecting with a being or an entity on a very deep and almost spiritual level. When it comes to dog training techniques, dog whispering involves careful observation of the dog's behavior and actions.

It literally entails getting inside the mind and the behavior system of the canine. When a person uses dog whispering techniques, they interact with the dog on the canine level. Again, one the most common mistakes that people make is treating the dog like a small human being.

"Reward Training"

Reward training is very simple and it's one of the older tricks that works. This is a simple method of training the dog by positive reinforcement. Once he does what it is told to do, it receives a treat. How this works is that the dog owner must entice the dog towards the treat. Once the canine develops awareness for the treat, it develops a strong desire for it. When the desire for it is extremely strong, the dog owner pulls back. Then the dog receives a command and when the dog obeys the command, it receives the treat. The object is to make the dog associate a treat with the command.

"Clicker Training"

Other dog training techniques include one that is similar to reward training, which is called clicker training. How this works is that the clicker is incorporated to get the dog's attention. The clicker is clicked as a form of communication with the dog. It learns that there is a command or reward associated in conjunction with the clicker. Many people claim that this is fun, and they actually make a game with the dog by using the clicker for their dog training tasks.

"Ultrasonic Whistle"

Last, a relatively new form of dog training technique is called the ultrasonic whistle. This works because the ultrasonic sound is only heard by the dog. When the owner is trying to communicate a command, or stop the dog from barking, they will blow on their whistle when they want to communicate a command to the dog. The benefit of this is that the humans can't hear this noise, but the dog can hear it, and they will learn to associate the sound with a command.

Dog training techniques aren't hard to incorporate, but they are something that absolutely must be incorporated from the time a dog owner brings their new dog home. No matter how old or how young the dog is, they will need training. Once they are trained properly, they will be a wonderful addition to one's family.

Before You Spend MORE Money On Expensive Dog Trainers or Products,

Watch This Video First!

https://bitly.im/P2Ppq

Discover the powerful dog training secrets to eliminate over 30+ common behavioral dog and puppy issues with step-by-step instructions from one of the world's most skilled dog trainers!

• Denys
      3 years agoReport

All of this has nothing to do with the question about the relationship of karma and dogma. This is not a forum about dogs. It has nothing to do with dogs. Dogma is unrelated to dogs.

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/I3UV8

There is the wordplay part of it (Karma- Car ma, Dogma, Dog). The other part of the "joke" is the way it is flipped around and the point that makes. Karma is used to describe a more relaxed ("hippie" to use your parent's term) approach to life. Dogma is the opposite. Instead of the car hitting the dog (as it so often happens), here it is the other way around. My free way of looking at things is better than your rigid way of looking at them This is a long explanation of a silly joke

It's a play on words. Karma sounds like "CAR-ma" and dogma is "DOG-ma" So it's saying my CAR ran over your DOG but they say it using "karma" and "dogma" as a way of using word within words. Really, it's just a joke.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): quot karma ran dogma quot: https://shortly.im/vnuNY

Actually Christianity (at least Catholicism) does not teach that Jesus absolves people of the consequences of their sins. I don't suppose this lady ever heard of, confession, penance and purgatory. The saying My Karma ran over your Dogma means, that Real Life destroyed your preconceived notions about reality. Oh wait, just like I am doing right now.

Biblical teaching affirms that (Galationa 6:7) Be not deceived God is not mocked for whatsoever a man sows that shall he also reap. If He sows to the flesh he will reap corruption but if he sows to the Spirit he would reap life everlasting. True Christianity does not teach one to ignore real life experience or absolve responsibility. Salvation in Christ Jesus as taught in the BIble is the remedy for sin however strong words address those who may think that it gives them a license to continue in sin (Romans 6:1) I would look more to the phrase my karma ran over my dogma as differentiating between theory versus reality or book knowledge versus life experience. In every religion you will find dogmatic doctrinal teachings. Some would call them religious extremists/cults.

• Denys
      3 years agoReport

Shut up. It's just a play on words.

I recall this from a bumper sticker as My karma ran over my dogma. So, not yours and had nothing to do with Christianity as I recall. To my mind it was really anti eastern spirituality, like a big joke. As a believer in karma at the time hated the saying. It was really like your dogma ate your karma. But then we don't have such a fun joke about cars and dogs.

This "best" answer is patently prejudicial and biased. (It may indicate bad karma for the writer.;))

There is no East Religion vs. West Religion subtext here. Both Eastern and Western religions and philosophies depend on dogma, and both feature something akin to karma.

This "joke" or play on words gains deeper meaning beyond the cartoon violence of running over an animal by gently touting the superiority of a more spiritual, positive sense of karma over the more tunnel-visioned absolutism of dogma. It just ain't a Buddhist vs. Christian thing.

• Ana

I'm doing basic obedience right now. My trainer hasn't once handled my dog. He has shown me how to handle my dog by using his own dog but that's about it. The reasoning is that I need to learn how to do these basic corrections and what not myself. Learn more https://tinyurl.im/HSIz1

I have never considered sending my dog away for training. I guess I haven't found that much of a problem with him to even think about it.

Again, it may also have to do with the level of training you are looking for etc. No idea lol. I'm not a trainer. I think a first time dog owner needs to learn simple commands and how to handle their dog themselves as well.

It's a word play joke with a philosophical bite, so to speak. My car [ma] ran over your dog [ma].