Carla S asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

Can you cite differences between the life of normal children and the life of child laborers?

ya....the question is self-explainatory.

thank you so much first person who answered!!! it really helped.....noe what about our similarities?

Favorite Answer

Normal children does not suffer as much as child laborers do. A normal child, with perhaps a brother or sister, has a good environment depending on where his/her family lives, goes to school, have a roof over his/her head, clothes on his/her back, mom and dad, and the only thing he/she has to worry about is if he/she is allowed to hang out with his/her friends. The life of a child laborer however, cannot afford all this "extravagance". She/He has to work for a living either because both parents are ill, being payed too little, 1 parent died and the other is ill, but most off all, she/he has no choice but to help with the family. If he/she don't work and get payed, it makes a difference between having a meal or not that night or any other night.

. Here is a quote from a young Indian boy:

“My sister is ten years old. Every morning at seven she goes to the bonded labour man, and every night at nine she comes home. He treats her badly; he hits her if he thinks she is working slowly or if she talks to the other children, he yells at her, he comes looking for her if she is sick and cannot go to work. I feel this is very difficult for her.

I don't care about school or playing. I don't care about any of that. All I want is to bring my sister home from the bonded labour man. For 600 rupees I can bring her home that is our only chance to get her back.

We don't have 600 rupees . . . we will never have 600 rupees.”

600 rupees is about 30 NZ dollars [I don't know how many US dollars]. This girl works 14 hours a day, 365 days of the year – the 10 hours she has left will be needed to sleep – absolutely no time for talking or playing. Typically, this bonded labour will continue until she is married, and a younger sibling takes over.

That is part of a speech I did for school when I was 15, about poverty.

Similarities between normal children and child bonded labourers?

- they both sleep (the labourer, not enough)

- they both eat (the labourer, not enough)

To be really honest, I can't think of other similarities.

This is a great website, started by a 12 year old boy when he found out about child slavery. He decided to fight child bonded labour/child slavery by founding Loose Change to Loosen Chains: www.lc2lc.com.

Children who work but not in bonded labour (that is, they are not working off a debt, they are not slaves, they are simply earning extra money for their family) - they have a somewhat better life - if the families income increases they may have the opportunity to go to school instead of working. Some charities have afternoon or evening school classes for children who have to work during the day. So some of these children are educated. Compared to a bonded labour child, they may still be beaten, overworked and mistreated by their employer.