Can you help me understand the meaning of this part of the I have a Dream Speech? It's my homework for school.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight, and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together.

This is our hope. This is the faith with which I return to the South. With this faith we will be able to hew our of the mountain of despair a stone of hope. With this faith we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our nation into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood. With this faith we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail together, to stand up for freedom together, knowing that we will be free one day.

This will be the day when all of God's children will be able to sing with a new meaning, "My country, 'tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing. Land where my fathers died, land of the pilgrim's pride, from every mountainsid

Favorite Answer

1)every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight, and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together. ==

1)all the flaws, and evils of the country will be undone by God's true love and grace, a land free of prejudice

2)With this faith we will be able to hew our of the mountain of despair a stone of hope. With this faith we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our nation into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood. With this faith we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail together, to stand up for freedom together, knowing that we will be free one day

2) He basically wants the mountain of despair[as read] to become a stone of hope; he uses this analogy because a mountain has many grits, and the flaw of its structure are immeasurable; into a stone because a stone is smooth and organized its parts are whole. in the next line he describes the transition from a chaotic south into that of a symphony where all the chords[which symbolize the ppl of the south] are compatible, coexistant and coordinated. One day he dreamed that as one they will accomplish everything; which includes work, prayer, struggle, jail. in other words if the south doesnt bring all its citizens up then the entire location will surely fail at everything

3) This will be the day when all of God's children will be able to sing with a new meaning, "My country, 'tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing. Land where my fathers died, land of the pilgrim's pride, from every mountainsid

3)He is explaining that following the unision of the south; All the patriotic melodies of America, may be sung without a sense of hipocracy, sung with the meaning of integrity and honesty

Source(s): I took a course on MLKJ; *Good Luck with your homework:)*

He was speaking of equality...by raising the valleys and lowering the hills and mountains you make the land level, same with the smoothing and straightening. He dreamt of an equal and fair playing field for all men regardless of differences. With his faith in this belief he planned to bring hope from despair and promote harmony among all people.

Hope that helps!

Good luck on your assignment! :D

Thru hope and faith all obstacles will be removed and our country will be liberated from the chains of hatred and disrespect. Where we can all live free and without fear.