moving back to the bay area?

SO, after many years of being away from San Francisco, I am going to return, and I am very excited because I miss it very much. But also I'm kind of worried. My husband and I (and our cat, Stinkerbell) are planning to rent and don't want to spend more than $2000 a month for at least a one-bedroom place, prefer hardwood floors. I wonder how far $2000 will go. How is rent in S.F. these days? I left back in '96, and after that I know it sky-rocketed. Also, how are the east bay areas, like Oakland and Berkley ? I hear they've changed, in some cases for the better. I do not want to be too far from SF if I have to live on the east bay. An ideal place for me is where I can get coffee that is NOT from Starbucks, and equally non-corporate bookstores and restaurants.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Also, I know of Craigslist and do check there.

Best Answer

Check out the Pleasant Hill/Walnut Creek area. It's not far from SF and the quality of apartments is better and you'll get much more for your money.

Stay away from the Richmond/Pinole/San Pablo area...lately it's been the murder capitol of California.

Berkley sounds perfect and doable for you.