Has anyone gotten busted for wearing a non DOT motorcycle helmet in California?

I want to wear a novelty type helmet but am not sure if the police enforce it or not. I believe the law states that you must wear a DOT approved helmet when you are riding a motorcycle in CA.

Favorite Answer

A long time ago, The law is not strictly enforced anymore thanks to an ABATE challenge of what constitutes a DOT helmet.

I wear a skid lid and have not been bothered by the cops in years, nor has anyone I know.

• Jerome K6 years agoReport

Using a fake DOT sticker could be considered the same as passing off a counterfeit 100 dollar bill. Then they would have a stronger charge against you and more jail time but I guess the police and judges never thought of that yet.

Novelty Motorcycle Helmets Dot Approved

There are a lot of riders wearing these cheesy little plastic 'beenie' helmets that have no padding at all, and have no impact protection. You might as well wear an empty beer can on your head. A DOT approved helmet will have a sticker on the back that says it's DOT approved. If the sticker is not there, that's a pretty good indication to the Officer that the helmet is not legal for use in a state that requires you to wear a DOT approved helmet. Don't know what the fine is in California, but it's around $100 in Washington state.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): busted wearing dot motorcycle helmet california: https://shortly.im/3Lrxy

Wow! There are a lot of self righteous people responding. Unfortunately, the non DOT helmets will get you a ticket, and a sticker will not help. If you go to court they will point out that there is no protection and it is obvious that the helmet is not DOT approved. It's sad, but the law passed because people were thinking they should decide for everyone else. People who wear novelty helmets are the people who don't want to wear them at all. That is their choice. I live in Texas where free choice is still cared about, and the only reason I wear a helmet is when it is too cold not to. If my head wasn't shaved, the only reason I would wear a helmet is to keep my hair from snarling, and it sure wouldn't be a DOT approved bulky helmet that are uncomfortable. You don't like that, too bad, go die! To those who criticize, I'll take care of myself, you worry about you. As far as the justification for the law being medical expenses, nothing in the state has changed. Case and point: my friend is now paralyzed for the rest of his life because he WAS wearing his helmet. Otherwise he would be dead. That cost him his wife, his son, his job, and now he spends all his life in pain and need. You think that's better, I would love to meet you in person. If you are that concerned with safety, go get a Volvo and shut up.

Non Dot Helmets

You can buy the DOT stickers off ebay, I dont think a cop could argue that.

Now something I dont understand... why do you want to? For looks? imagine if you go down and get severe road rash on your face. You'll be saying: remember how cool I looked that one summer?? But you'll only say that if you dont take severe head trauma and brain damage. Wear a full face helmet, protects against bugs and keeps you lookin good and alive.

I have not heard about any rider ever getting pulled over for having a non-DOT helmet on. But, I know of two occasions where after being pulled over and cited for "other things.." the lid became an issue and was also written as an infraction costing approximately $280.00.

Unfortunately, we live in a state that does not give the rider choice. I am an advocate of helmets, 100%, but also I feel it should rest on the individual to choose their fate.

Source(s): 10 Year s MSF Instructor

Guilty as charged, been there done that, got the ticket, went to court, and lost. So here's the dealio... I wanted to look cool and let's face it they are lighter, they hug your bean closer and chicks dig-em. I live in Orange County, one morning while taking a quick run to fuel up for a long ride, I was pulled over.My brain bucket was marked with a fake DOT sticker and the Officer new right away it was illegal. So he wrote me up. Funny thing is, he told me he could have my bike towed because it was illegal for me to ride my bike home, but he said he was going to go around the block and if he saw me when he came back he would have me towed or write me up again. I jetted home without incident. Within an hour I went and bought a DOT helmet. NO Regrets! Bottom line your gambling with your life and the legal system.So weigh it out, if its by conviction you think the law sucks,then help the rest of us change it through ABATE. In the mean time get prepared to pay the govenator.

Source(s): personal experience

You know what, go right ahead. if you want to wear a Novelty Helmet, knock your self out! What a stupid thing to want to do. The helmet is there for your safety, not for looks.

You know what else, if you do decide to wear one and you do any other things as stupid as this, the best you can wish for is to knock your self out.

Have you tried this, place an uncooked egg in a glass jar with a lid and give it a good shake. That could be the insides of your head after a decent fall off a bike at any significant speed.

Have fun.

People like you really give me the shits. But then again that's why I like this saying, "Natural Attrition"

Source(s): Being around people that have come off there bikes and have just survived.