.
. asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicLyrics · 1 decade ago

Who, or what, is "TCB" in Aretha Franklin's song "Respect"?

Does anyone know what the acronym "TCB" in Aretha Franklin's song "Respect" means? It appears to be someone's initials, their first, middle and last name. It appears in the R-E-S-P-E-C-T chorus:

"...R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Find out what it means to me

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Take care, TCB..."

• t1riel
    Best Answer

The last line is often misquoted as "Take out, TCP", or something similar, and indeed most published music sheets which include the lyrics have this incorrect line in them. The confusion seems to have arisen from the fact that the entire sequence was an ad-lib by Franklin, not present in Redding's original song.[2] Thus, for that sequence, there were no official written lyrics to quote, and those transcribing the lyrics would have had to take their "best guess" as to the words being sung.

"TCB" is an abbreviation that was commonly used in the 1960's and 1970's, meaning "Taking Care of Business", and it was particularly widely used in African-American culture.[3] However, it was somewhat less well-known outside of that culture[4], yielding a possible explanation as to why it was not recognized by those who transcribed Franklin's words for music sheets.

Source(s): wikipedia
  • dowd

Respect Song

• Marion

Respect

I think it's a sexual reference. Look at the other lyrics:

"I'm about to give you all my money, and all I'm asking in return, honey, is to give me my propers when you get home ... All I want you to do for me ... is give it to me when you get home." Also, "whip it to me ... sock it to me ..."

Come on, folks.

• John1 year agoReport

The song was a terrible one. It s sad that she died but she was not that great.

• i just thought she was repeating the phrase b/c TCB often refers to 'take care of buisness' so she's telling him to take care of his buisness....

"TAKE CARE of BUSINESS"

She wants the dude to respect her and do what a man should, like take of business.

She meant to say TCBYogurt but couldn't fit it all in one breath.

take care of bussiness