Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicJokes & Riddles · 1 decade ago

Why aren’t there more black keys on the piano between all those white keys?

Those black keys (traditionally ebony) produce tones halfway between the two white keys (ivory) on either side of it. But couldn’t modern pianos be made with such half tone keys between EVERY pair of white keys? And wouldn’t that allow a composer and a pianist a richer musical palette to work with? And what would a composition utilizing such and extended range sound like?

Best Answer

Well, those are sharps and flats, and here's the deal. In music, you have a certain range of notes that you can produce: A, B, C, D, E, F, G, and all of the sharps and flats in between the white keys. But, there are only a certain number of notes you can reach before you repeat the same notes, also known as an octave (high or low) of the note. Larger more extended pianos do exist, but, it just broadens the octave range, doesn't make more notes. Like I said, there are only ABCDEFG and then the flats and sharps, but once you reach G, it goes back to A and then you hit octave notes from there. I hope I helped.

• Maria

The piano is both in a family of it's own - Keys. So that includes things like keyboard and organ as they have keys, d'uh. however it also belongs in the percussion family because when you press down the key, A MALLET HITS THE STRING. This is what makes it percussion. Whoever it was from a musical family, clearly they just didn't talk about it, or they're all mistaken. Go to any jazz band and they wont have someone on piano, they will have someone on keys. And who was it that said that the xylophone was part of the keyboard family?! That is the biggest pile of rubbish i've ever heard. An instrument qualifies to be in the keyboard family if it has keys that you press down. The Xylophone/marimba/glock, whatever, are blocks of wood/metal that you hit with a stick. They are called tuned percussion, because you beat them with a stick, and they come out with different notes. Just wanted to clear that up, but back to the original question... Keyboard instruments include piano, keyboard, organ, clavinova, celeste, harpsichord, i suppose accordian too... Plus anymore that other people have mentioned.

It's been a while since my first music lessons way back when, but I recall that a full octave actually consists of 12 notes; that's accomplished by 7 white keys and 5 black keys. It seems rather random but in reality, if you learn the scales and start practicing them, you'll see how the randomness of it all suddenly falls into a very logical pattern. I forget all the theory behind it, but it does make sense when you figure it out.

Don't ask Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson about it.

They'll end up suing Steinway Piano, because the black keys feel dis-enfranchised and want parity. The lawsuit damages will be huge and Steinway will settle out of court to re-fit all pianos keys outstanding.

All the pianos in the world will be changed and music as we now know it will be forever altered, in ways no one can imagine. The childhood favorite piece known as "Chopsticks" will go the way of the Dodo bird.

Then all attention will be shifted to the organ...........

The Indian and Balinese scales have 1/2, 1/3 and 1/4 tones with more half steps than do traditional Western 12 tone scales. If a piano could handle those scales there would have to be shades of gray, right?

Interesting Q, dude!

.

because the "black" keys are basically "half notes" if you will. I do not play the piano so I am not 100% certain of this, but I believe that is what these notes are and this is why there are only a few of them...

you can't. it's impossible to make a half step between some keys. like E and F. you cant do an E sharp.... it would just be an F and same way for the others that dont have half step keys inbetween them. if you dont get what im saying =/ sorry. you have to know music really well to be able to conversate with me.

There are more white keys because your species like to go in groups when tanning! now form your groups and go bake in the oven.

I take a electone (electric piano) for 10 years but never ask that good question to my teacher!!!

oh dont tell me people are being racist now, when it comes to musical instruments