Do you know that song "Amazing Grace" What is amazing grace?

Favorite Answer

Amazing Grace is a well-known Christian hymn. The words were written c. 1772 by Englishman John Newton. They first appeared in print in Newton's Olney Hymns, 1779 that he worked on with William Cowper.

John Newton wrote this hymn after converting to Christianity In the village Kineton, Warwickshire, England. The hymn describes his feelings about the slave trade while on his ship, the Greyhound, in 1748. Several years later he abandoned the slave trade (Only because his old age prevented him from captaining ships and he was unable to stay at sea). Newton maintained that his true conversion did not take place until several years after the storm incident.

The melody most often used for this hymn was not original (nor was Newton a composer). As with other hymns of this period, the words were sung to a number of tunes before and after they first became linked to the now familiar variant of the tune "New Britain" in William Walker's shape-note tunebook Southern Harmony, 1835. [1]

There are several tunes to which these words have been sung. "New Britain" first appears in a shape note hymnal from 1829 called Columbian Harmony.

Amazing Grace Lyrics

"Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,

That saved a wretch like me....

I once was lost but now am found,

Was blind, but now, I see.

T'was Grace that taught...

my heart to fear.

And Grace, my fears relieved.

How precious did that Grace appear...

the hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares...

we have already come.

T'was Grace that brought us safe thus far...

and Grace will lead us home.

The Lord has promised good to me...

His word my hope secures.

He will my shield and portion be...

as long as life endures.

When we've been here ten thousand years...

bright shining as the sun.

We've no less days to sing God's praise...

then when we've first begun.

"Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,

That saved a wretch like me....

I once was lost but now am found,

Was blind, but now, I see.

(end)

Amazing Grace basically means God's love and forgiveness.

well, it helps if you know that Amazing Grace was written by someone who used to be a slave owner, then found God, then decided that since God was the greatest thing to happen in their life they should write a song about it.

Source(s): this is just what i recall from church on Easter

Taps is a horny unhappy music performed sluggish on a bugle. One of the saddest, but such a lot comforting to me is It is good With My Soul, I wager the unhappiness comes from understanding the tale at the back of it- it's one in every of my favorites. I do love Amzing Grace despite the fact that- there are a couple of humans who can actually make me cry after they sing it

The grace that is given to us by God.

Check out the history section:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazing_Grace

The love and forgiveness of God for our sins and for recognizing him as our Savior.