Justice of the Peace How to? so I can legally marry people in the U.S.?

I am interesting in learning how to become a Justice of the Peace so that I can marry people in the United States. I would also like to know if I can marry people across state lines.

2 Answers

  • Melli
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    With only a few exceptions, such as boat captains, this is state specific. You may be licensed to perform ceremonies in one state but it would not be valid in another. To find out the licensing requirements in your state, contact your state department of vital statistics, as the requirements vary from state to state. Most states require that you be a member of the clergy in some capacity or a judge, mayor, governor, or other elected official. Some denominations are willing to license elders and others in their church to be able to perform weddings.

    Some states allow a person to obtain a special permit to perform a specific wedding on a specific date, which has to be stated on the application form.

    Here's a link with state specific contacts and information:


    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    Marriage has proven to be an identity robbing racket.

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.