Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 decade ago

Equality within traditional education?

Oh so many have posted the "why aren't there men's studies" questions declaring inequality both on Y!A and within the university setting. The typical response to this with regard to education is that traditional curriculum such as history, math, science etc. is the equivalent to men's studies.

Ok, but I'm sure there has to be a feminist or women's rights group that advocates "evening the playing field" by trying to equalize traditional education by including women's contributions to the above areas of study, be it in elementary, secondary or higher education.

Does anyone know of any such group doing so (attempting to equalize traditional education), or having done so in the past, and possibly a source that dictates as such, whether a news article or even such an organizations own mission statement.

Help is much appreciated, thanks all

Favorite Answer

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but here is my anecdotal experience:

My daughter's 4th grade class did a program on Women's history, casting students in the roles of famous American women such as Abigail Adams, Rosa Parks, Helen Keller, Susan B, Anthony, Harriet Tubman, etc. My daughter's role was Sacagewea.

Teachers have a high degree of autonomy in creating lessons, and our school district has done a quite respectable job of including the contributions of women in science and history.

Of course, my experience is limited to only one school district, but the in-service training teachers are required to attend is regulated at the state level. The state sets content standards. You might check the Dept. of Education for a few different states.

Actually, the textbooks of today (I have proof because I'm in high school) constantly mention women's contributions. Statistics books, history books, etc. Where applicable, they impart information about important historical women and even the condition of women during certain periods (particularly in history books).

That's why I don't understand why some people say something like "History is a study of men," because today it really isn't. The World History AP exam, for example, never mentioned a single thing about men in any location but mentioned plenty about the role of women.

At my university, in the History, International Development, Sociology, and Conflict Resolution departments, there are courses focusing on women's contributions to each field. My university is so pro-feminist that it almost annoys ME.

There were women in science (Maria Kurie or whatever her name is spelled), but they were way fewer than men.

So giving them equal share of class time would be disproportionate.

There were plenty of women in art, and I belive they get their fair share of class time.