Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Yahoo ProductsYahoo Answers · 1 decade ago

Is Yahoo Answers a popularity contest?

Most of the time I see the most useful answer ignored while someone with a little badge or something next to their name gets picked best answer. I'm starting to think this whole thing is a joke.

Favorite Answer

Yeah, me too so pick this as the best answer!

It's a popularity contest if you treat it that way. The point of the site is to exchange useful information. People who are more interested in how many points they accumulate or how many best answers they are voted are missing the true purpose of the site. I don't worry about those people.

• leiber

i in my view do no longer understand why human beings might provide good solutions a thumbs down. it sort of looks like it extremely is a recognition contest, which makes me indignant reason I come on line to get a fashion from the final recognition contest,extreme college.

• hobo

The people who got their badge got it through hard work. A crertain number of users had to agree they were good enough to get the badge. Something smacks of jealousy here.

I don't think it's a popularity contest I just think some people on here don't know good advice when they see it.

People make chums and give each other the best answer so they can get points. Bless.

• kev l

maybe i know of some that have 2 0r more accounts they vote for themselves to get points me i just answer questions to kill some time and its fun

that usually happens in the P/S and R/S categories. avoid those and you have a shot at some legitimate answers.

Some have agendas. I could care less. It isn't worth getting mad over. Honest.

For some it may be. It's just amusing to me. If I can actually help someone, even better!