Law school overseas?

My husband is in the Navy and next year after my college graduation....I will be moving to Italy with him after he finishes his term in Bahrain. My careeer plans are to attend Law School but where in Italy???...How would my degree be accepted when i return back to the U.S? I thought about law school online, but how in the world does that work with such a time comsuming career? Any help anyone could offer I would greatly appreciate it..

Favorite Answer

Italy is a Civil Law country while the United States is a Common Law country. So legal practice in the United States will materially differ from legal practice in Italy. You might have to return to the US for a portion of your course work, but you could at least do some of your study in Italy. The following US law schools have study abroad programs to Italy:

Brooklyn Law School/Loyola Law School of Los Angeles

Hamline University

Loyola University Chicago

Pennsylvania State University

Seton Hall University

Temple University

Tulane University

University of San Diego

Vanderbilt University

Wake Forest University

Widener University

Most of them offer only summer study abroad, but you might be able to work out a significant portion of your law degree in Italy through one of the above schools. Or you might be able to cover a significant portion--though certainly not all--of your studies through a combination of summer programs or semester abroad programs. Odds are you would need to do at least one year on the domestic campus to take your core courses but who knows what a law school would work out with you unless you try.

Practice of law requires that you pass the state bar exam in the state(s) in which you practice. In theory you could get a law degree in Italy and take supplemental reading/ coursework designed to prepare you for the bar exam in the state that you plan to practice.

You do not mention if you have a special interest--say military law. If you did you might want to talk to one of the branches of the military and see if they have any programs that you could participate in.

Good luck to you and enjoy Italy.

You might find a US law school with a program in Italy. I know two that have such programs in Spain. You attend some in the US and some in Spain. Both programs I looked at required fluency in Spanish and I would expect the same in any other country, so that may be an issue for you too.

You will need to attend an ABA-accredited school if you want to sit for the state bar (there used to be a couple exceptions, not sure of current but aba website had the info).

Do not pursue law school in Italy unless:

1. you have unlimited amounts of money and want the experience

2. you are deeply interested in Italian law and plan to incorporate it into you U.S. practice

If you plan to practice law in the United States, you have to attend an ABA accredited, American law school or at least take the equivalents of an American J.D.

I know someone who completed law school in Europe and had to attend law school all over again in the U.S. to practice here. Granted, he can now practice in two countries, but what good does that do if he does not use that advantage?

Waste of your time and money. Wait. Or stay in the U.S. while your husband goes.

Major in anything you prefer! It may be very foremost so that you can preserve a top (three.eighty five+) GPA if you're all in favour of most sensible legislation colleges, and the important thing to retaining a top GPA is to essential in a discipline you honestly like. Philosophy is a satisfactory option if you happen to experience it, however relatively whatever is best. I do not believe that International Studies might open any doorways for you that some thing like History, Poli Sci, English, or Philosophy would not additionally. (Although all of the Logic you have got to absorb Philosophy WOULD support you do relatively good at the LSAT). If you're in any respect all in favour of patent legislation you will have to cross essential in a difficult technological know-how or engineering - however in any other case I'm beautiful definite you'll get into some thing like company legislation with any undergraduate essential, so long as you excelled in each undergrad and in legislation institution. I do wish to mention despite the fact that that it is rather invaluable to be taught different languages, in particular Spanish, Chinese, and Arabic. Those are satisfactory strengths and can open a quantity of doorways for you someday - in legislation, in trade, or in different places.