Cheap but good health insurance????

I am uninsured and need health insurance. I am middle aged and and have some preexisting conditions. My credit isn't the best due to some fraud I had to deal with and I don't have much money to spend. Please, does anyone know where I can turn? I live in Texas. Thank you!

• Zarnev
    Favorite Answer

Unfortunately, cheap insurance is not good and good insurance is not cheap, especially if you have pre-existing conditions. You really do get what you pay for with health insurance. However, a visit to a local independent agent can help. This person knows the market in your area and can find a plan that will be best for your situation. They do not charge any extra for the service.

Do not try to do this on the internet. Some companies will decline you for certain pre-existing conditions while others will write the policy. If you sign up on-line you have no way of knowing which companies will accept you.

Beware of the medical discount scams. It does you no good to be on a plan if a network doctor is over 300 miles away. The people that sell these plans have little or no knowledge of health insurance and do not need to be licensed. The plans are not regulated by the state so you have little recourse when you have problems. States are starting to forbid these plans (not soon enough). Here is a link for information on one of these plans. http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/west/2006/11/...

Here is another link on these plans in general. http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/consumer-protec...

Source(s): Independent Agent

Well, depending on the preexisting conditions, you might not be insurable for them. Credit is irrelevant, when it comes to health insurance, all you have to do is pay the bill. However, "middle age" if that means 45 or so, it's GOING to cost you $500 a month, excluding preexisting conditions. It's not about how much you can afford to pay, the price is what it is.

Having said that, the BEST place to get health insurance, in Texas or wherever, is through your employer. Even if the plan isn't so great, it will pick up preexisting conditions after a waiting period (usually 18 months in TX), and the employer picks up a big chunk of the tab, so it's likely to cost you a mere $100 a month.

If you are SUPER low income, you can apply for medicaid (welfare health insurance). And of course, once you're 62, you can apply for medicare.

Source(s): agent, 21+ years

What should I consider when picking a plan?

If your employer gives you a choice of plans or you need to purchase your own coverage, it is crucial that you understand your health insurance choices and pick the insurance that is best for you and your family.

Here are some questions you should ask yourself when choosing a health insurance plan:

How affordable is the cost of care?

What is the monthly premium I will have to pay?

Should I try to insure most of my medical expenses or just the large ones?

What deductibles will I have to pay out-of-pocket before insurance starts to reimburse me?

After I’ve met my deductible, what percentage of my medical expenses are reimbursed?

How much less am I reimbursed if I use doctors outside the insurance company’s network?

Does the insurance plan cover the services I am likely to use?

Are the doctors, hospitals, laboratories and other medical providers that I use in the insurance company’s network?

If I want to use a doctor outside the network, will the plan permit it?

How easily can I change primary-care physicians if I want to?

Do I need to get permission before I see a medical specialist? What are the procedures for getting care and being reimbursed in an emergency situation, both at home or out of town?

If I have a preexisting medical condition, will the plan cover it?

If I have a chronic condition such as asthma, cancer, AIDS or alcoholism, how will the plan treat it?

Are the prescription medicines that I use covered by the plan?

Does the plan reimburse alternative medical therapies such as acupuncture or chiropractic treatment? Does the plan cover the costs of delivering a baby?

What is the quality of the insurance plan I’m looking at?

How have independent government and non-government organizations rated the plan?

For example, the National Committee for Quality Assurance ( http://www.ncqa.org/ ) issues a Consumer Assessment of Health Plans (CAHPS) report for every medical plan and facility. What kind of accreditation has the plan received from groups such as NCQA or the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) ( http://www.jcaho.org/ )?

How many patient complaints were filed against the plan last year and how many were upheld by state regulatory agencies like the state insurance commission or the state medical licensing board? How many members drop out of the plan each year? State insurance departments keep track of “disenrollment rates.” Do the doctors, pharmacies and other services in the plans offer convenient times and locations? Does the plan pay for preventive health care such as diet and exercise advice, immunizations and health screenings? What do my friends and colleagues say about their experiences with the plan? What does my doctor say about his or her experience with the plan?