Was Grease a broadyway show first in the fifties or was it a movie first that became a broadway show?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The musical came first and then the movie. Here is some info on both;

Grease is a musical by Jim Jacobs and Warren Casey.

It takes its name from the 1950s United States working-class youth subculture known as the greasers. The musical, set in 1959 in fictional Rydell High in Chicago, focuses on the romance between high schoolers Danny Zuko and Sandy Dumbrowski and tackles such social issues as teenage pregnancy and gang violence; its themes include love, friendship, teenage rebellion, sexual exploration during adolescence and, to some extent, class consciousness/class conflict.

The show's original 1971 incarnation was a play with incidental music[1] staged at the Kingston Mines Theater in the Old Town section of Chicago. Producers Ken Waissman and Maxine Fox saw it and suggested to the playwrights it might work better as a full-scale musical, and told them if they were willing to rework it and if they liked the end result, they would produce it off-Broadway. The team headed to New York City and after additional collaboration and refinements, Grease opened at the Eden Theatre in downtown Manhattan on February 14, 1972. Excellent reviews and brisk box-office business prompted the producers to move it uptown.

The Broadway production, directed by Tom Moore and choreographed by Patricia Birch (who eventually went to direct the ill-fated sequel of the film adaptation of Grease), opened June 7, 1972 at the Broadhurst Theatre, where it ran for five months before transferring to the Royale. It remained there for more than seven years before moving to the Majestic to complete its 3388-performance run. The original cast included Barry Bostwick as Danny and Carole Demas as Sandy, with Adrienne Barbeau, Timothy Meyers, and Walter Bobbie in supporting roles. Replacements later in the run included Jeff Conaway, Marilu Henner, Peter Gallagher, Ilene Graff, Judy Kaye, Patrick Swayze, John Travolta, Jerry Zaks, and Treat Williams.

The show went on to become a West End hit, a hugely successful film, a popular 1994 Broadway revival, and a staple of regional theatre, summer stock, community theatre, and high school drama groups.

After twenty previews, a Broadway revival directed and choreographed by Jeff Calhoun opened on May 11, 1994 at the Eugene O'Neill Theatre, where it ran for 1505 performances. The original cast included Ricky Paull Goldin as Danny and Susan Wood as Sandy, with Megan Mullally, Rosie O'Donnell, Sam Harris, and Marcia Lewis in supporting roles. Replacements later in the run included Debby Boone, Marilyn Cooper, Mickey Dolenz, Chubby Checker, Sheena Easton, Joely Fisher, Sutton Foster, Jasmine Guy, Jennifer Holliday, Al Jarreau, Lucy Lawless, Darlene Love, Maureen McCormick, Mackenzie Phillips, Joe Piscopo, Tracy Nelson, Jon Secada, Brooke Shields, Sally Struthers, Jody Watley, Marissa Jaret Winokur, Jo Anne Worley, and Adrian Zmed.

A second Broadway revival, directed and choreographed by Kathleen Marshall, is scheduled to begin previews in July 2007. Max Crumm and Laura Osnes were selected to portray Danny and Sandy via viewer votes cast during the run of the NBC reality series Grease: You're the One that I Want!. The original score will be embellished with tunes written for the film adaptation: "Hopelessly Devoted to You," "Sandy," "You're the One That I Want," and the title number. A West End revival, with the leads similarly cast via ITV's Grease Is The Word, is also scheduled.

Grease (1978) is a film directed by Randal Kleiser and based on Jim Jacobs and Warren Casey's musical, Grease. The film stars John Travolta, Olivia Newton-John, Jeff Conaway and Stockard Channing. It was originally released to theatres in the U.S. on June 16, 1978. It was released in the U.S. on VHS during the 1980s; the latest VHS release was June 23, 1998 as 20th Anniversary Edition. On September 24, 2002, it was released on DVD for the first time. On September 19, 2006, it was re-released on DVD as the Rockin' Rydell Edition, which includes a black Rydell High T-Bird jacket cover or the Target exclusive Pink Ladies jacket.

So as you can see Grease is still the word...even in todays day and age!!

Source(s): www.wikipedia.org
  • 1 decade ago

Grease was a movie first made in the 70's then a broadway play in the late 80's and 90's

• bryner
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

No in no way! regardless of the undeniable fact that--- some cases with this one guy i grew to become into relationship (quickly) --- i might fake to moan and actually might in basic terms be mendacity there questioning approximately how terrible he grew to become into, then began to think of approximately what i had to do day after today. Like, "aw sh*t- I could get my inspection sticky label day after today..." propose mutually as he's moaning and c*mming - I desire i could have fallen asleep... atleast then i does no longer have popular how undesirable it grew to become into. happy that's over and performed with.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.