Should I sell my baseball card collection?

I have tons of cards from the 80's, and 90's - Some great autographs too - should I hold onto these for nostalgia, for my kids someday, or just sell em all and clear out a closet in the house? opinions?

I have one daughter now, but plan on having 2 more - selling the "commons" at a yard sale might be the way to go, so everything I might keep fits in a shoe box. I have 2 huge boxes, and a lot of it is just....cardboard

Favorite Answer

I would go through what you have and decide what to keep. By the time kids are old enough to do anything with them, they probably won't be interested in players who aren't around any more. Maybe keep ones from your local/favorite team or favorite players.....maybe keep only rookies or certain 'stars' or inserts.....maybe even see if you have a complete set and keep the complete set.

Still, if you're not that interested in them anymore and your kids aren't old enough to be interested yet (do you have kids already - or are we talking way in the future?).....weed out the good ones and sell the rest on eBay, to dealers, or at a yard sale. You can subscribe to Beckett price guides for a month online for a few dollars to get relative value of cards you're curious about. http://www.beckett.com

I'm working on my stash.....most of them are not worth much. Some that are better cards I plan to put on eBay....the rest, I'm not sure yet. Maybe send some through the mail to collect autographs. That's more fun than having them just sit around in boxes.

Source(s): I'm a baseball card pack rat

Personally, I would NOT sell them. Especially if you do have kids. Not only would they love to have this from their Dad, but most importantly, by then, they could be worth a LOT of money to either help support them through life or school. Even for yourself one day or for the family. Could be worth a vacation or if you find yourself in a financial jam. I would, however, get them appraised and then I would put them safely away. You may have something you could sell right now for whatever you may be wanting to buy and save the rest. But I wouldn't do anything without finding out how much they are worth first.

If you don't want to go to the trouble, you can always send them to me. hehehehehe

I'll sell the collection, because your kids won't be interested for these cards

I say no because some of those players are still playing. Wait until they retire. Also, does the collection mean more to you, or more in the value of money?

I say that you keep them.. At least put them in the attic or basement or something.. Hand them down to your kids.

save them for your kids!!! keep them in the family til baseball cards become extinct--then you'll see who's laughing.

no, dont sell them