How can I start a residential construction firm?

I’m currently majoring in accounting at a top 20 university. When I first enrolled I knew that being an accountant was not my primary goal, merely an education that would leave me most flexible in the business world when I graduate. As my classes continue toward my junior year I’m faced with choosing what type of... show more I’m currently majoring in accounting at a top 20 university. When I first enrolled I knew that being an accountant was not my primary goal, merely an education that would leave me most flexible in the business world when I graduate. As my classes continue toward my junior year I’m faced with choosing what type of business to enter. I like the idea of residential design and construction. The various aspects all interest me and I can see wonderful economic growth opportunities once I’m established.

This leaves me with a question of what I need to do to enter the field to start and how to build my early reputation. I know that being in an industry with your ears open to people interested in leaving their niche can offer opportunities for growth once established, but I don’t know the first steps to take to begin.

What would you all suggest as the steps while I’m still in college to prepare for a career in construction, and my early steps to start the business itself?
1 answer 1