How can I stop unbearable sunburn itching? Is hydrocortisone cream bad for sunburn?

I revieved a severe sunburn 2 days ago. It hurt pretty bad, and still does but that's nothing compared to the itching. I am taking codeine for the pain which doc reccomended but it doesn't work that well and I am wondering if that might be causing some of the itch. I am also using some "After sun... show more I revieved a severe sunburn 2 days ago. It hurt pretty bad, and still does but that's nothing compared to the itching. I am taking codeine for the pain which doc reccomended but it doesn't work that well and I am wondering if that might be causing some of the itch. I am also using some "After sun rescue balm" made by clinique that had vitamin E, peppermint, and barley as advertised ingerdients. But no aloe which I have read is excellent. The itching and pain get way worse after putting this on so idk if I am going to use it anymore. After putting that on and experiencing worsening pain and itching I decided on using hyrdocortisone cream which helped a little. I am wondering what else I can do to stop the itching because I am going insane and soon I'm going to do something stupid like slicing myslef open with my nails but I'm afraid that even then I'll just make the pain worse and still have the incessant itch. Please help, I'm losing my mind.