I have 2x256 ddr2 pc2-4100 on my MB, if i put 2x1gb ddr pc3200 will that be ok?

here is a link for a 'recommended' upgrade for my memory. will it slow down the 2x256 i already have installed???

http://www.crucial.com/uk/systemscanner/viewscanby...

Favorite Answer

The results of the Crucial memory scanner cannot be trusted. It says you have 2x 256MB PC2-4100 memory (which is DDR2) but recommends that you add DDR (not DDR2) memory to your system, which would never work. Even if your motherboard has a pair of slots for DDR and another pair of slots for DDR2 memory (which is unlikely as only a few boards do), it is either one or the other, never both at the same time which can be used. In other words, the results from the Crucial website is garbage.

From what it did report on your system that seemed reliable coupled with a little googling about your motherboard model, I can say you almost certainly currently have 2x 256MB PC3200 and have two free memory slots. As such, adding 2x 1GB PC3200 like you asked would indeed be fine and will not slow down your system at all.

it will cause the 256 chips to run at the same speed as the 1gig chips but with 2 and a half gigs you'll still notice a speed increase. but make sure your motherboard will run with 2 different speeds of ram not all of them will.

It will slow down your 256 memory, but there is no way you'd notice. So no get your 2 x 1GB and fasten your seatbelt.

those two memorys are not compatible. you system has ddr2. the 3200 memery is ddr1 the slots are different.