Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

are grapes bad for dogs?

i have a bichion Frise and there were grapes on the coffee table and he ate a few will he be okay?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    CHOCOLATE: Best to remember � dark chocolate, especially baker�s chocolate, is the worst when it comes to this type of �poisoning�. Chocolate contains a substance called Theobromine (similar to caffeine), which in toxic doses can cause heart attacks. As little as 2 oz baker�s chocolate can be fatal for a small dog. If you suspect your dog has gotten into chocolate call your vet immediately.

    GRAPES/RAISINS: Surprisingly, this is a toxic fruit for dogs. They contain an unknown toxin, which can cause acute renal (kidney) failure. As little as a handful at a time can be deadly.

    ONIONS: A substance in onions, disulfide, is harmless to humans but toxic to not only dogs but cats, horses, sheep and cattle. It causes hemolytic anemia, and as little as 2 slices a week can damage red blood cells, impairing their ability to carry oxygen.

    NOTE: Garlic and onion are in the same family, while small amounts of garlic will not harm your dog, too much is not good.

    LIVER: In small amounts liver is very good for your dog (less than 3 servings a week). Large amounts cause vitamin A toxicity (hypervitaminosis A). This can lead to bone problems, weight loss and anorexia. Also, never feed liver if your dog is taking vitamin A supplements, and always cook it before feeding.

    BONES: Sterilized bones that are purchased aren�t the problem. Raw meaty bones and chicken bones are prone to splinter and lodge in the throat, or worse, the intestines, in which case they can perforate the lining causing internal bleeding and possibly death. This doesn�t mean �no bones� � ask the butcher for soup bones, bring water to a full boil then cook the bones for approximately 20 minutes (depending on size).

    RAW EGGS: Cooked eggs are a very healthy treat for dogs, raw egg whites contain a protein called Avidin. This protein depletes your dog of B vitamins, specifically Biotin, which is essential to growth and coat condition. Also, raw eggs may contain bacteria, such as Salmonella.

    RAW MEAT/POULTRY: Once again bacteria are the main problem � Salmonella and Clostridium, both can be very serious and costly to treat. Just remember, if you feed meat, cook it first.

    NOTE: Best to avoid pork, especially bacon (which contains sodium nitrate).

    MILK AND MILK PRODUCTS: FYI, 50% of dogs are lactose intolerant (just like people!) � they don�t produce the enzyme Lactase, therefore they are unable to break down Lactose (milk sugar). This can cause gas, diarrhea and abdominal discomfort.

    NUTS: Walnuts can cause gastroenteritis and are considered poisonous to dogs. Macadamia nuts contain an unknown compound, which can cause muscle tremors, weakness and paralysis of the hindquarters � luckily these symptoms last a short time. In general, nuts are high in phosphorus and may contribute to the formation of bladder stones.

    NOTE: Peanuts are a legume, �from the earth�, not grown on trees. They are not harmful when used in small amounts.

    POTATO: Cooked and mashed potatoes are good for dogs. However, poisonous alkaloids (Solanum) are present in green sprouts and green potato skins.

    NOTE: Poisonings occur in people as well as dogs!

    TOMATO PLANTS: Stems and leaves contain oxalates, which can cause bladder stones.

    NOTE: The fruit itself is not the culprit, however high amounts of vitamin C can cause gastrointestinal distress.

    RHUBARB: This plant (especially the leaves) also contains oxalates.

    TURKEY SKIN: Known to cause acute Pancreatitis in dogs.

    PIPS: Found in the seeds of apples, pears, plums, peaches and apricots � ALL CONTAIN ARSENIC!

    NUTMEG: Is a hallucinogen in dogs.

    BABY FOOD: veterinary assistants commonly gave chicken baby food to dogs and cats that wouldn�t eat. Just be careful that the baby food you are feeding doesn�t contain onion powder � some do. See onion poisoning for more information.

    MUSHROOMS: In all honesty, any wild growing mushroom scares me, and if my dogs are anywhere near some, I go the other way � you just don�t know. Store bought mushrooms are fine, but do you really want you�re dog to develop a taste for them?

    BROCCOLI: There has been a bit of confusion where broccoli is concerned. Broccoli is very good for dogs, however, if the daily intake exceeds more than 10% of the animals diet � problems can occur. The toxic substance is isothiocyanate and can cause gastrointestinal irritation.

    NOTE: Broccoli toxicity was first noted in dairy cattle raised in California. When there was an over abundant broccoli crop, it was fed to the cattle. Problems may have occurred because cattle have rumens and digest things much more thoroughly, therefore taking in more of the toxic substance.

  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

    YES Grapes are bad for dogs! They can kill a dog. Nuts and Chocolate too.

  • 1 decade ago

    I've heard that YES grapes are very bad for dogs. It should be all right if he only ate a few. If he acts weird soon you might want to call a vet.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Well grapes are bad for your dog. Grapes have sugar in it and it is dangerous for your dog. A few grapes wont hurt it, but try to keep it away from all fruits. Well just try to keep it on regular dog food. Good luck!

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Although many dog owners and dog trainers have traditionally used raisins and grapes as treats, RAISINS AND GRAPES IN LARGE QUANTITIES CAN BE LETHAL TO DOGS. As few as a handful of raisins or grapes can make a dog ill; however, of the 10 cases reported to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC), each dog ingested between 9 ounces and 2 pounds of grapes or raisins.

    If your dog has ingested large quantities of raisins or grapes, (s)he will immediately begin to vomit repeatedly, and will become extremely hyperactive and jittery. After about 24 hours, the dog will become lethargic and depressed. (S)he may experience abdominal pain and may stop urinating, drinking, and/or eating. (S)he will also become dehydrated. Both his/her vomit and feces will contain partially digested raisins or grapes. His/her breathing may become irregular, and (s)he will also become hypercalcemic (high calcium concentrations) and hyperphosphosphatemic

  • 1 decade ago

    Grapes ARE bad for dogs. The only SAFEST way to be sure if he will be okay is to call the vet and ask about it and the tell the vet the amount of grapes he ate. It's also going to be about his weight and size. If he shows any signs of illness, please take him to be seen.

  • ?
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

    surprisingly grapes do have a mild toxin in them. if your dog only ate a few he should be fine. he may leave mess on your floor though.

    you can always call poison control and ask how to make a dog throw up if you're really worried. they did that for my friend about rat poison and i think they told him to make him swallow some peroxide or something crazy. it makes em puke up the bad stuff.

  • 1 decade ago

    yes grapes are one of the most poinsiinous things for dogs to eat it can really mess up there stomach

  • 1 decade ago

    3-6 grapes can kill a dog, depending on the size.

    Grapes and raisins are TOXIC to dogs and I would suggest you get off the computer and call an emergency vet....NOW!!!!!

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Yes he'll be fine i give my dog grapes all the time and he's alot 5 yrs old and he's really heathly!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.