kyeann
kyeann asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

Can I use tap water for my betta?

I had some tablets to treat the water with, but I was just about to change the tank and I think I am out of those tablets. Can I use tap water this time or will it kill him?

A betta's natural habitat is rice paddies and they are very shallow unlike a larger fish tank.

Best Answer

Contrary to the 1st person to answer this question, Bettas MUCH PREFER to live in a tiny bowl. In the wild, they live in tiny little pools of water ALONE. Do not put a Betta in a large tank. They live in small places. Also, do not ever change all the water in your tank at the same time. Only a 10-25% water change each week is sufficient. Also, ALWAYS add Am-Quel or the equivalent to the tap water. All public water is treated with chlorine, flouride and other additives to make is potable. These are poisons to a fish. Am-Quel (or something similar) will remove alot of these things from your water to make it safe for your fish. If you happen to have well water, you need to treat it as well, because well water tends to be very hard, and all the iron in the water could kill your fish. Good luck...Bettas are beautiful and very easy to care for!!!!

It will ONLY KILL HIM IF you can actually smell the chlorine. My betta has been it for a long time, he's beautiful and healthy.

To the person who found hers dead, that is because of other factors. Bettas and goldfish are the most abused pet fish due to care, but not tap water if there isn't a LOT of chlorine.

But it IS best to have live plants or even some wood (the tannins are good for their health).

It depends on the tap water. I have well water and It does not kill my Betta. or my mom's goldfish. I dint use my mom's water when i clean her tank for her Because she has city water. Yes it safer to get the stuff like Aqua safe or the tablets you use. But I really don't think any one can say that tap water can kill your fish.

frequently faucet water is risk-free for fish, even though it relies upon on the customary of YOUR faucet water. whilst you're on a non-chlorinated grant (like spring water) then that's often wonderful. in the adventure that your water comes from a sparkling source and your business enterprise has in basic terms taken care of it with common chlorine, then the letting it take a seat for some hours ingredient is wonderful. yet whilst your water source is suspect, or the water company treats it with Chloramine, then you definately ought to apply a water conditioner. Chloramine would not evaporate rapidly like chlorine (thats why that's used) so which you are able to apply a water treatment like top until now that's risk-free on your fish. Chloramine is often formed if grimy water is chlorinated, so whilst you're uncertain, use water conditioner. Ian

The chlorine in the tap water will kill him.You can buy the drops or tablets at the store though.

Source(s): I have 5.

This question has been asked so many times I find it hard to believe you couldn't find it when you did a search for the answer.

You can use tap water if you use a good declorinator first. Barring that you should let the water set out in a container for a few days to declorinate.

Good luck

Tap is fine, but make sure you let the water sit out for 12 hours to get to room temp. If you don't your little friend will not like it and may die. Beta's are very temp sensitive.

it shouldnt, if u hv a decent filtering system on it, By the time the water gets 2 a decent room temperature for the fish, ur tank filtration system would hv removed any harmful stuff n ur water. Hopefully, anyway!!!

Go head down to your nearest pet store or walmart and grab some water purifyer. The crap in human-healthy water will kill fish pretty quick.

• Chris

The tap water will kill him because of chlorine and other heavy metals. Try getting a bottled water, it doesn't have any chemicals.

When you go to the petstore, try to get hime a 2-1/2 gallon to 5 gallon aquarium. A bowl doesn't really give him spaces to swim around.