Can I sell a house that is owned jointly?

I am a single man owing a house with another single man. Can I force a sale of the property, and if so can I gain the entire down payment that I put down on it? The other man wants to let his brother live in our house, which I oppose. I paid off the debts of the man who lives with me in order to qualify for the... show more I am a single man owing a house with another single man. Can I force a sale of the property, and if so can I gain the entire down payment that I put down on it? The other man wants to let his brother live in our house, which I oppose. I paid off the debts of the man who lives with me in order to qualify for the mortgage. I put down $42,000 on the home. He put no money down on the home. I do not want his brother or anyone else to live in our house. He is insistent to allow his brother to live here. I did not sign up for that arrangement and want out. I want my down payment and to sell the house. He thinks I cannot do this, but an attorney I talked with said that equitable distribution laws would allow me to force the sale, even if I had to sue my partner. Most everything in the house was purchased by me, as well as things I owned before I met him. Does anyone have any credible information on how this is handled? I only want my down payment back and the things that I either had or bought
Update: Thank you for your responses. This is not about divorce since we are two guys. I put down $42,000 on this home and I want my money back.