What is the best way to remove rust from metal?

I have 2 questions. How to remove rust from a metal blade and how to remove rust from a cast iron wood stove before painting.

Thanks

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I've tried 'em all and Coca-cola is the best

• Login to reply the answers
  • Buzzy
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

If the blade is not deeply pitted, the simplest way is to use 0000 steel wool with WD40. The WD40 also acts as a rust preventative.

I would use the same method on the stove, but use mineral spirits b/4 painting.

• 1 decade ago

for the blade - put rusted metal in lemon juice and let it sit overnight. Or you can use other citric acids or acetic acids.

stove - I have used white vinegar with a wire brillo pad to remove rust from iron and copper. It works well, but I would use rubber gloves because it is messy.

• 4 years ago

On a rusty wood heater I take cooking oil pour over outside of stove and build a fire in the fore box. The heat will knock off the rust/ Do this in a clear area of the yard of course.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I just found a new website that deals with everything corrosion and rust. It has a whole home section and how to remove rust so it would probably help you. It is www.CorrosionConnection.com. It also lists rust products so you don't have to search everywhere for them. Hope it helps!

• 1 decade ago

Wire brushes are good, raw potato with scouring powder has been used on cast iron cookware I know, rust eraser pads can be found at the hardware store.

• 1 decade ago

For the cast iron a wire wheel (on a drill) may do the trick. A less aggressive wheel will be made of Brass.

A very effective method is to use a sandblaster.

• 1 decade ago

I've never tried coke but I remember back when I was in science class and we used ketchup to make the penny shiny. Maybe it will work for your situation. Put the ketchup all over the rust and let it sit for a few hours. Then wipe it off or rinse it...

• pappy
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Steel wool and trasmission fluid. You'll be amazed how easy it comes off. Just wash down anything you intend to paint with denatured alcohol to get all the film off first.

• 1 decade ago

Use some RustBlast and a Scotch Brite pad.

http://www.kbs-coatings.com/RustBlast-C33.aspx

• You can rub it off with something rough like what he said, or u can try the cool but odd coca-cola-mythbuster proven liquids to remove it. I recommend rubbing it off though.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.