Is Scientology real? L Ron Hubbard?

I remember reading years ago that L Ron Hubbard said if you want to make money start a religion. So he started Scientology as a joke. Then it took off and when he realized what was happening, he disassociated himself with it. Has anyone else heard of this? I think it was in Time magazine about 20 yrs ago or so.... show more I remember reading years ago that L Ron Hubbard said if you want to make money start a religion. So he started Scientology as a joke. Then it took off and when he realized what was happening, he disassociated himself with it. Has anyone else heard of this? I think it was in Time magazine about 20 yrs ago or so.

Also, what is the basic premise of Scientology? Do they believe in Jesus - that he is the son of God?

Thank you!!!
Update: I am a believer in Jesus Christ & I think the bible holds all the truths. Once out of curiosity I went into the Scientology bldg in NYC & the people were very friendly & didn't try to kidnap me or anything. They were even setting up a Christmas Tree!!! Seems like more of a philosophy than religion to me. show more I am a believer in Jesus Christ & I think the bible holds all the truths. Once out of curiosity I went into the Scientology bldg in NYC & the people were very friendly & didn't try to kidnap me or anything. They were even setting up a Christmas Tree!!! Seems like more of a philosophy than religion to me.