In California, how can I amend a complaint to say "Jane Doe"?

instead of the plaintiff's name?

3 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    A plaintiff *can't* be Jane Doe. Since the Plaintiff is the one who brought the action, the Plaintiff must name themselves. It's all regarding a Defendant's right to face their accuser.

    If you're just wanting to make yourself more anonymous with regards to people viewing the public record files, you can petition the court to have the proceedings and paperwork regarding the suit sealed, but that's as much as you can do.

    Source(s): A lot of money spent to go to law school
  • 1 decade ago

    if the suit's already filed, this would seem like a futile act since it's in the system under your name. the only Jane Doe plaintiff's I've seen are rape victims--if this is not your circumstance I think u should forget being Jane Doe

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    File a motion???

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.