sid asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

origin of english language?

I was seeing in wikipedia that english is mixture of latin, french and german language. I hard also that latin originated from sanskrit language. how much is that true and how much those are alike?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Taivo
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

First, English is a Germanic language. Like all other languages in the world it has loanwords from other languages (English has borrowed especially from French and Latin), but the grammar of English is 99% pure Germanic. There is no debate whatsoever about this among linguists. English is NOT a mixture of Latin, French, and German. English is, quite simply, a Germanic language.

Second, Latin did NOT originate from the Sanskrit language. Latin and Sanskrit are both descended from Proto-Indo-European (Latin through Proto-Italic and Sanskrit through Proto-Indo-Iranian). The myth that Latin came from Sanskrit is a lie promulgated by Hindi nationalists in their struggle for surpremacy over Tamil separatists.

Third, Latin and Sanskrit are about as much alike as English and Sanskrit or Russian and Greek or Latin and Irish. They are on separate branches of the Indo-European family tree.

Source(s): I am a Linguistics professor at a major US university
  • 1 decade ago

English has adopted words from many different languages but it is still classified as a germanic language.

• 1 decade ago

Modern English has an admixture of words from different languages. Original (Old and Middle) English is from Dutch, German & Anglo-Saxon (Saxon, I believe is the language spoken in Prussia, an area in what is now a part of Germany. Anglo- is from the Greek prefix meaning "English" or "belonging to England"), although there's some words from French, thanks to the British ruler who made French the national language of England, for a period of time.

• 1 decade ago

basically it comes from every other language in the world

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.