Bartending school and those bartending classified ads -- worth it?

I'm a 24-year-old grad student looking for summer work and possibly some extra cash during the year, and I'm interested in getting a job bartending. I have no real experience serving besides bartending for a friends' charity party (not for pay and we had a set list of drinks). So I have two questions:

1) Is bartending school worth it? Both in terms of the possible connections and in terms of learning how to make drinks, etc. I don't have a lot of money right now, so I'm not sure how I would pay for the classes but I'm also not sure how I'd get a job without them.

2) Has anyone gone through those "Bartenders Wanted -- no Experience necessary -- we train" classified ads I see everywhere (they're usually run through the AAN-CAN company, I think)? Is it a scam?

Thanks so much. Answers for either or both questions would be great!!!!

Favorite Answer

I did one of those bar tending classes in Delaware.....They are kinda pricey, (I think it was about $300.00) but I did learn how to make about 200 different drinks. The girl that taught me even took us to a bar in Wilmington to practice one night. She gave us a lot of good mnemonic devices to help us remember what liquors are used....It was a fun time too.

As for getting a job, most NICE places (IE , places where the money is good) hire from within the company...You have to work for a couple of years to gain their trust to get behind the bar. Starting out, you might work at a dank pit, but hey, it's good experience- think of it as an internship :)

If you know a friend that is bartending, that may a good way in also.....I got a job tending bar at a Chi-chi's from a close friend even though I had no real tending experience. In the meantime, why not try waiting tables? It is good rest. experience, and you can make great money.

Best of luck

defiant_mike

• BeMadd

There are some states that actually require a pourer's card, like Las Vegas.

Most states do not.

Check with some of your local spots, and see if they are willing to give you a shot. They will give you any training you need to be successful.

I have bartended without previous experience or training. Depending on the clientele, most bars gets mostly repeat orders for the same drinks. They tend to be simple: beer. shots, simple mixed drinks. Also, if you encounter an unusual request, the person that orders is very happy to tell you how to make it.

The most important skills in most bartending situations are speed and customer service.

Hope this helps.

dude its a waste of time. i have many friends that have done this, and all are now pursuing other jobs