Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Does anyone know of a good book ABOUT the "golden age of science fiction"?

I'm really into sci-fi books from the golden age era, from authors like Vonnegut, Heinlein, Asimov, and Bradbury. Does anyone know of a good book that is just about this whole era in literature?

I'd love to learn more about it all. Thanks!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

There are plenty of anthologies but few books on the history of that era.

Try:

"The Creation of Tomorrow: Fifty Years of Magazine Science Fiction" by Paul Allen Carter

"The Time Machine: The Story of the Science Fiction Pulp Magazines from the Beginning to 1950" by Mike Ashley

"The World of Science Fiction 1926-1976: The History of a Subculture' by Lester del Rey

• 1 decade ago

The Chinatown Death Cloud Peril by Paul Malmont is fiction.

Here's the publisher's description:

t's 1937, and America is turning to pulp fiction for relief from the Depression. Meet Walter Gibson, the mind behind The Shadow, and his rival for the nation's newsstands, Lester Dent, creator of Doc Savage. The mysterious murder of Gibson's friend H. P. Lovecraft is about to bring these two writers face to face with a peril sprung from the pulps. This debut novel is a valentine to an old-fashioned genre as well as a modern, meta-literary examination of the classic hero pulp. From the palaces and battlefields of warlord-plagued China to frozen seas and cursed islands to the labyrinthine alleys and tunnels of lower Manhattan, Dent and Gibson, joined by the young pulp writer L. Ron Hubbard and a host of colorful characters, take part in a heroic journey greater than any story they imagined as they race to stop a madman.--From publisher description.

• 1 decade ago

Personally, I don't know any off-hand but dogpile.com might be able to help if you do an advance search but try it with just what you wrote in your question and you should get some good feedback. Good .luck

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.