Can a landlord refuse to hand over tenant's personal property following eviction?

I never thought I would find mysef in the position I am now, but I have been evicted. Times are tough and I fell behind on the rent. When it came time for me to get out, and have the locks changed, etc. The landlord told me that I could not regain my possessions until the monies owed to him were paid. I have every... show more I never thought I would find mysef in the position I am now, but I have been evicted. Times are tough and I fell behind on the rent. When it came time for me to get out, and have the locks changed, etc. The landlord told me that I could not regain my possessions until the monies owed to him were paid. I have every intention of paying, but at this moment can't. I want to put my stuff in storage...what can I do? I'm in South Florida btw.
Update: Also, I feel crappy enough as it is. I don't need people telling me what a bad person I am. So please, just straight answers.
Update 2: It went through the courts already. The landlord is legally in possession of the dwelling. However, should my personal property belong to him as well? I've told him I'd pay him, but he won't return allow access to anything until I do. My most important possessions are in there...