colonists fighting against what?

were the colonists fighting for economic freedom or the personal liberties and why were they fighting against it

this is my homework and it is not in the book so please help me out

Update:

who did what i have to go through 1 to 18 chaps.

a) leaders of rebellion that carry their names

b)people from foreign countries who supported the colonists in their war against the english

c)early feminists

d)leaders in custer's last stand

e)leaders of early english settlements

f)former slaves who fought slavery

g)leaders of group settlers moving to the west

h)war hawks and longtime senate opponents

i)colonial firbrands

j)union activists

k)early statemen and ambassadors

bejamin franklin,john jay

patrick henry,thomas paine

henry clay, john calhoun

john smith, william bradford

casimir pulaski , marquis de lafayette

nathaniel bacon, daniel shays

frederick douglass, harriet tubman

elizabeth cady stanton, susan b. anthony

stephen austin, brigham young

tatanka yotanka, tashunka witko

mother jones, terence v. powerderly

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

the Boston merchants were fighting against paying tax for any reason

• 1 decade ago

>> "The Declaration of Independence is perhaps the most masterfully written state paper of Western civilization. As Moses Coit Tyler noted almost a century ago, no assessment of it can be complete without taking into account its extraordinary merits as a work of political prose style. Although many scholars have recognized those merits, there are surprisingly few sustained studies of the stylistic artistry of the Declaration. This essay seeks to illuminate that artistry by probing the discourse microscopically--at the level of the sentence, phrase, word, and syllable. By approaching the Declaration in this way, we can shed light both on its literary qualities and on its rhetorical power as a work designed to convince a "candid world" that the American colonies were justified in seeking to establish themselves as an independent nation." <<

I HOPE THIS HELPS

I wish even just a few Americans would read this on the 4th of July which --because they don't-- has been reduced to "National Picnic, Barbecue, and Fireworks Day."

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Colonists just liked to fight.

The excuse was that they realised that they could profit more from setting up their own water trade routes, rather than have to stop at an english port first and pay a high duty fee.

That will be $20.00 for helping you with your homework young lady.

• 1 decade ago

The colonists became colonists by fleeing to this new land to escape religious persecutions. However, their dismay with Britain stemmed primarily from unjust taxation. Your question has many answers depending upon which period in Colonial History you are referring to.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Some say taxes, some say it was time to break away. Here is a really good link to several sources for your homework. Good luck on your paper.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.