Is it worth it to Get a JR pass?

Im going to japan in aug. and planning to get a JR pass. but my friend said that its not worth it if i only go to 3 places...... I was only planiing to go to kyoto, sendai, and hiroshima.

Can I use the JR pass in Bullet trains(shinkansen)?

Can I also use this in busses and traind in tokyo?

• C
    Favorite Answer

Yes, I think so kñîvè$, but you decide for yourself. (Does it seem like you'll be using it for all the options listed?)♡^_^♡ 

Please take a look at this site:

http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en004.html

It has lots of good info on "JAPAN RAIL PASS validity". According to this site:

☆"Railways: All JR Group Railways-Shinkansen"bullet trains" (except any reserved or non-reserved seat on "NOZOMI" trains), limited express trains, express trains, and rapid or local trains. (With some exceptions)

☆Buses: Local lines of JR bus companies (JR Hokkaido Bus, JR Bus Tohoku, JR Bus Kanto, JR Tokai Bus, West Japan JR Bus, Chugoku JR Bus, JR Shikoku Bus, JR Kyushu Bus) and some of JR highway bus services*.

* Sapporo-Otaru; Morioka-Hirosaki; Tokyo-Nagoya, Kyoto, Osaka,Tsukuba Center; Nagoya-Kyoto, Osaka; Osaka-Tsuyama, Kasai Flower Center

Ferry: Only the JR Miyajima ferry is covered. The JR Hakata-Pusan (Korea) ferry is not covered.

Important notes:

The JAPAN RAIL PASS is not valid for any seats, reserved or non-reserved, on "NOZOMI" trains on the Tokaido and Sanyo Shinkansen lines.(The pass holders must take “HIKARI” or “KODAMA” trains.)If you use a "NOZOMI," you must pay the basic fare and the limited express charge, and for a Green Car the Green Car surcharge. Note also that passengers using JR trains on non-JR lines must pay additional fares and charges for sections traveled on such lines."

Check this too: "JAPAN RAIL PASS types and prices"

http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en003.html

~Hope this helps!

Have a great time here in August. Remember, it's hot and HUMID here in August. Bring light clothes and comfy shoes. Bring a handkerchief or two and mini towel to carry with you. (You can always get those here.)

A Rail Pass is definately going to cut your traveling costs, considering that you are going to be traveling rather long distances that will require multiple train transfers. Here is a sample of what you costs would be for sample trips without a Rail Pass (unresearved seats)

1) Kyoto to Sendai - 20370 yen

2) Sendai to Hiroshima - 24880 yen

2) Hiroshima to Kyoto - 10280 yen

Depending on the length of your trip, a Rail Pass for regular car seating is as follows:

1) 7 day - 28,300 yen

2) 14 day - 45,100 yen

3) 21 day - 57,700 yen

If you're going for two weeks, the Rail Pass is already ahead as far as costs, but you have a number of advantages with the Rail Pass. It will cover the Limited Express trains to and from both International Airports (Narita and KIX), which will save you money. You can also use it on local commuter trains that travel on JR lines, which is great for daytrips from Kyoto to Nara and the sites outside the city like the Fushimi Inari Shrine. The only shinkansen that the pass will not cover is the Nozomi super-express that runs between Tokyo and Kyoto. It also does not cover local city buses and subways, but I think that you will find that the pass is well worth the costs as far as convenience and savings. I figure that while I was in Japan, my pass saved me several hundred dollars and I'd even splurged for the Green Car pass.

Source(s): Spent 3 weeks in Japan in Oct. 2006 - Visited Kyoto, Nara, Naruko Onsen, Takayama, Nikko & Tokyo

It's definitely worth your money to get a JR Rail pass. You'll be traveling all over Japan and even though you are going to three main places...it's expensive to travel on the Shinkanesen. And speaking of the shinkansen...yes you can use your pass on all shinkansen except Nozomi Shinkansen which run on the Tokaido and Sanyo lines. (Lines from Tokyo down to Fukuoka) but that isn't much considering the 2nd fastest train on that line...the Hikari (or Hikari Rail Star on the Sanyo Line) runs only about 30 mins behind the Nozomi in schedule.

The JR Rail pass cannot be used on buses within Tokyo (mainly because they aren't owned by JR), but if you decide to use any JR lines within Tokyo (like the Yamanote Line, Yokusuka Line, Keiyo Line, etc...then your rail pass covers it).

Remember the pass covers all JR lines in Japan except Nozomi and sleeper trains...or in the rare case that JR trains travel over non JR owned track and you have to pay a fee for that.

The 7-day pass would definitely be worth it. Almost all of the other posters have correct information. The pass is also valid for the NEX from Narita airport to downtown Tokyo, as well as all JR subways, including the Yamanote line. Therefore you would want to exchange the voucher at Narita rather than waiting to Tokyo station to do so. As a matter of fact, it can be exchanged at any Midori No Madoguchi ticket office which are located in every trainstation.

If you're going that far, the JR pass is worth it, but you can only use it on the slower shinkansen, I believe.

However, you cannot use it on buses nor the private train lines in Tokyo.