Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

I need to know the laws of what age you have to be to babysit for someone in missouri?

I am on a pool board commitee in missouri and we are having a debate on how old you have to be to babysit someone else's child and bring them to the pool. I was told you have to be 14 if they are not we could get sued if something happen to the kid that the babysitter was watching. I have found no laws stating this, the only law I did find was one about kids have to be 14 to work in a babysitting facility. Some of us on this board thought we had agreed on children over the age of 13 could be a babysitter for a family in the subdivision and bring the kid to the pool. We have made all homeowners sign a form stating that they will take responsibilty for the babysitter. Can anybody help answer this question have you ever heard of this law. My daughter is old enough to go through red cross and get certified according to their site, why can't she babysit.

• Melli
    Best Answer

According to the Missouri Department of Social Services, Children's Division 573-522-8024, there is no law that states the minimum age at which a child can begin to babysit. The American Red Cross recommends a minimum age of 11. They have specific training courses for both babysitting and CPR which in this case is highly recommended.

http://www.redcrossstl.org/hsservices.aspx?id=4388

I did a separate search of the MO state statutes and was unable to find any specific statute that outlines a minimum age for babysitters.

I don't know what city you are in but there could be a city ordinance which you can find out by calling your city hall. The clerk should be able to point you in the right direction.