Corrupted system file error needs Windows XP Home Setup CD, my manufacturer provided none! What do I do??

The warranty was up this time last year. How can I go about obtaining an XP bootable CD that will repair

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

which is "missing or corrupt"???

Should I look into Microsoft or Dell (my manufacturer)? If all else fails, should I "obtain an illegal copy" in order to repair my legal operating system? I'd especially like all my files back if possible, some were very important!

Aaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

(sorry, but Argh.)

Update:

the file is c:\windows\system32\config\system

Update 2:

why won't it enter it all? .....config\system

Update 3:

why won't it enter it all? .....config\system

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

C:\windows\system32\config\system is where the windows registry is kept. Your registry has become corrupt. Visit http://support.microsoft.com, get article 822705. There are details for repairing your system, using the copy of the registry that was put aside when the machine was first built. You'll be starting with a clean registry, so it won't reflect any software you've added since, but the PC will at least boot so you can get your data. It has been my experience (many years of computer repair) that this particular error demands a rebuild of the system. Sorry about that - but there's not much you can do about it. Dell system CD's can be purchased from DELL, of course, but that route is destructive - it will wipe the drive (format it) before laying down new files - and bye-bye data. You may consider removing the drive, installing it as a slave in another system (must be win 2000 pro or XP to read an NTFS partition) and copying your data to the other machine. (That's how I'd approach this).

-best luck

• 1 decade ago

You can refer to DELL for recovery CD. Or some times there is a auto recovery function in the DELL. Maybe u can try to press ALT + F10. If not you can boot into MSDOS to get the information that u want and copy it into your thumdrive.

• Roy C
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

go to http://www.dell.com and enter your computer model. Go to support and see what you can find there. You can e-mail Dell support with questions.

You may also find that Dell has placed a rebuild copy of your operating system on a virtual drive and all you need is there.

Check with Dell support I have used them and their service was excellent. Hope this helps, Roy

• Mike
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Recovering that file from the CD will not solve your problem, trust me. Dell should of supplied you with a recovery CD or partition, I would contact them with your problem.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Try to find DELL CD or use 5 star rated free software http://pc-software-doctor.com/

This soft fix 99% of your PC errors.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Have you searched the internet for that problem yet?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.