Who pays health insurance when legally separated?

My wife and I are legally separated. I am retired and my wife was on the Cobra health insurance from where I was employed. Since we are now legally separated, am I obligated to pay her Cobra health insurance premiums until the divorce is finalized? Both living in Pa.

Best Answer

because the cobra came from your job, you will need to pay it until the divorce is final. of course, she could be nice and get new insurance now instead of waiting... maybe suggest it.

It is best to do what you can for the children until the divorce, you don't want to go in front of the judge and him call you on why you didn't at least pay half. My ex and I agree to half everything that involves the kids.

My soon to be ex and have have been legally seperated for about 8 months, and he is military also. I totally understand about staying married through a deployment. My ex and I split briefly once before, and we reconciled about a week before he deployed for 16 months. I stuck it out and thought everything would change, but it didn't. Once we split he decided he "wanted to make it work" but I was done, and I knew no matter what we tried, we were also done. He moved on immediately (like 3 days later he got back together with the girl who broke us up in the first place). I dated once or twice, but quickly realized I wasn't ready. I forgot about guys and just focused on making life better for our son and I. Then months later I met a guy, and suddenly felt like I could date again. I can't explain to you what changed, but something just did. If you really like him, and want to date, do it. If you truly feel your marriage is done, and you are ready to move on, you need to do what's best for you. And in my case I know I couldn't put my son through the 'back and forth" of our marriage anymore. It wasn't good for any of us. When you are ready, you'll know. Just go with it, and enjoy your life.

I know in my divorce the one that paid it prior to the divorce was the one obligated to pay after...on the children that is.

Obligated? I don't think so! But life's too short to sweat the small stuff. Deal with what's really going on this situation with you & your wife.

My husband and i agreed that he would pay insurance. I think its what ever you agree on. If you cant agree on anything you would have to get the lawyers involved.

If it was not previously agreed to and addressed in the separation papers, you might not be required to pay it. Talk to your attorney.

You need to ask your lawyer......but I would assume Yes, but you know what they say about assuming!!!!

she needs to pay her own insurance...