Why Richard Bachman?

Does anyone know why Stephen King chose the pseudonym Richard Bachman?

Favorite Answer

Stephen King's own explanation from StephenKing.com:

"The name Richard Bachman actually came from when they called me and said we're ready to go to press with this novel, what name shall we put on it? And I hadn't really thought about that.

Well, I had, but the original name - Gus Pillsbury - had gotten out on the grapevine and I really didn't like it that much anyway, so they said they needed it right away and there was a novel by Richard Stark on my desk so I used the name Richard and that's kind of funny because Richard Stark is in itself a pen name for Donald Westlake and what was playing on the record player was "You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet" by Bachman Turner Overdrive, so I put the two of them together and came up with Richard Bachman."

On a related note, Stephen King "borrowed" the other half of Westlake's pseudonym for his character George Stark in The Dark Half. The story is about a writer whose pseudonym comes to life and wreaks havoc. Stark is the pseudonym.

Incidentally, I'd recommend Richard Stark's Parker novels. They are great examples of taut, economical writing. Parker himself is also a very intriguing character.

HBJ

The name "Richard Bachman" was supposedly chosen partly in tribute to crime author Donald E. Westlake's long-running pseudonym Richard Stark, and partly in honour of Bachman-Turner Overdrive, a band King was listening to at the time he chose his pen name

http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Stephen_King#Richar...

i dunno. i walways wondered that myself. but Richard Bachman's books were laways my favorite