LuvUrGirl asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 1 decade ago

Is toner necessesary for bleaching hair?

I mixed Ms. Kay Dioxygen Creme Developer 40 Volume with Clairol Profressional "Basic White" powder lightener. I read somewhere about needing toner, what's toner and will my hair not change colors without it?

its already done though

how long do i leave the creamy mixture on my head

Favorite Answer

This is a very good question. All you "bleachers" listen up. Some professionals should listen up also. While your 40 vol scares me little I will answer regarding the toner. A toner is a pale, permanent color ment to diminish unwanted tones or add a tone on a level 8 or above. One of the most common toners is a violet for a yellow-blond.

A toner will:

Take very quickly on porous hair.

Counteract only on a level 8 and above.

To people's eye make the hair look "darker".

Fade in sun, tanning beds and chlorine.

A toner will not:

Fix a bad, uneven bleach job.

Counteract on level 7 under UNLESS it is specifially

designed to so and it says for level 7 and below. This

WILL NEVER be violet.

Need to be applied as a retouch- only when the bleach is

retouched.

Professionally I have yet to see a pretty over-the-counter toner. Most are way too drab, strong and murky looking. A glaze is a semi-perm pastel color that can do the same type of work as a toner and is a lot more forgiving in application and timing. A much better choice. If the hair is gold- not yellow you must choose the appropriate toner. If the hair is orange, brassy or red a "toner" will not work. You will have to adjust with either a glaze on a darker level or relighten with a lightener IF THE HAIR CAN TAKE IT. A violet shampoo is ment to be used after a toner or glaze starts to fade to help preserve the desired shade. It is not ment to BE THE TONER. Bleaching is always best left up to professionals who control the strength of the product, do good- even applications and careful timing. Don't rely on a toner. Use it as another tool to help "refine" the look of the bleach that is done properly. No, you do not have to tone.

Source(s): Award winning stylist based in Manhattan- me.

Toner For Bleached Hair

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): toner necessesary bleaching hair: https://tr.im/zxEE7

A toner is almost always used when a full bleach has been used on the head..It all depends on how far you took your bleaching..Is it yellow? white, orangish. The perfect blonde should be the color of the inside of a banana peel..So, go to sallys, and show them the color you have right now after bleaching, cause I cant see it, and have them suggest the toner you need............................And to the award winning stylist..Some people wish not to go to a colorist, so...you need to give them the best advice you can...

Source(s): hair business
  • POOCHY

a toner is just that a toner. it tones (evens out ) the shade of blonde u want to achieve. u must bleach ur hair to the color or shade u desire, then once u have done that, u must even out the shade by using the toner. u cant just strip ur hair and not apply a color or toner to it- ur hair will become brittle and like straw because ur hair molecules will remain open and become porous.

Source(s): hairstylist

When hair is lifted properly, toner is not necessary.

you do need tone because that is what outs the color in the bleach and fro it to go up to a certain point.your hair will turn out even better