won a lottery, need advice fast?

I m a poor guy.

I was sent an email stating that I had won a lottery. There were addresses given as where to claim for the prize. I did that providing full personal details. This was the next piece of correspondence ……………

UK National Lottery,

P O Box 1010 Liverpool,

L70 1NL UNITED KINGDOM

WINNING PARAMETERS

Ref : ***********

Batch:************

Winner's name: <my name>

Raffle Draw Winning Email:**************

Congratulations Lucky Winner,

Your approved winning Certificate number is ***********

Your winning Transfer Identification code is ************

The process for claiming your winnings has been made very simple so that by the end of one week at most, you are assured of having received your cash prize of the sum of £1,000 000 Pounds Sterling and all the legal documents backing your winnings. In the light of the above mentioned, you are to contact the the Agency that will be handling the transfer of your winning to you with the contact informations below:

CONTACT SCARLET COURIER :

Courier Name: ScarLet Courier LTD.

Contact Person: Mr. Richard Peterson

Telephone:+44 70457 04413

E-mail: scarletcourierdeliverydept00@yahoo.co.uk

Note that you are to provide the Lottery Winners Agency that will be handling the transfer of your winning with the required details below to officially identify you:

1) Winner's Full Names:

2) Present Full Address:

3) Telephone Number:

4) Raffle Draw Winning Email:

5) Amount Won:

6) Winning Reference Number:

7) Winning Batch Number:

8) Winning Transfer Identification code: *******************

9) Winning Certificate Number: ********************

Note that there exists a periodic condition on all claims process; therefore you have limited time to claim your winnings. Failure to claim your winnings within the stipulated time frame will lead to the forfeiture of your winnings after which your winnings remitted back to the United Kingdom National Lottery Headquarters and will then be added to next winning draws. Also kindly be aware that the United Kingdom National Lottery winning prizes are regulated by the Financial Services Authority and as a result, you are advice to follow the Lottery Claims Terms and Conditions to ensure the remittance of your prize to you within the stipulated time of the claiming of winnings.

Lastly, I will require a concise update on your proceedings with the Agency that will be handling the transfer of your winning. If you need any assistance whatsoever from this office, please do not hesitate to inform me.

Yours Sincerely,

Dr.Pinkett Griffin

Accredited Fiduciary Agent

Confidentiality Notice:

Please note that this email and any files that may be attached to it is/are confidential and is/are intended for the sole use of the individual(s) or entity (is) to which it/they is/are addressed. Any use,distribution,copying or disclosure by any other person or entity is strictly prohibited under applicable law(s).Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to official business of NATIONAL LOTTERY and insurance shall be understood to be neither given nor endorsed by NATIONAL LOTTERY finance and insurance when addressed to concern finance and insurance clients; and any information contained in this email is subject to the terms and conditions of the governing client's contract(s).

United Kingdom National Lottery

COPYRIGHT © 1994-2007 ALL RIGHT RESERVED

They say it is my email id which won the lottery selected randomly.

Is this a total fraud or a genuine case. Should I do what they asked for??

I am in a dilemma. Plz give some expert advice. Is the agency genuine? Has ne1 heard of it b4??

Forgive me for not disclosing my winning parameters.

Favorite Answer

FRAUD! Do not even respond - it will only encourage them. I am sorry, but you did not randomly win 1,000,000 Pounds. Please remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't true.

I agree with the others. This is almost certainly a fishing expedition on their part - after all, what's in it for them to give that kind of money away on a random basis? They could be after your personal details such as bank account details; they could ask you for a 'processing fee' or ask you to phone an expensive phone number; or you could find that somewhere in the small print there's a clause saying that most prize-winners will receive a 'prize' of a certain value and it'll turn out to be something less valuable than a 2-dollar watch.

Your best plan - because I understand how hopeful you must feel - would be to write to them asking for details of the Lottery Terms and Conditions that they refer to, and/or the nature of the 'precise update' that the chap refers to.

Or if you want to test it to the limits, see if you can open a new bank account (the Post Office and some supermarkets offer very quick and simple account-opening procedures) and deposit £1 in it, and when they ask for details of your bank account use this one. Then you've limited your losses to £1 and you can probably make a few bob by selling your story to a newspaper or at the very least take it to one of the consumer programmes on radio and TV.

Hope that helps.

Poor but at least clever enough to ask for help.

As everyone says, if it's too good to be true, it's a fake.

As a general rule, any 'free' offer with a time limit to respond is fake. (don't look for Nigerian emerald mines anymore).

Always, LOOK IT UP. Has everyone forgotten about SNOPES.COM?? see ref 1 below.

AND contact the real thing - look up the UK site an find the following points (reference 2) to look for in order to identify a fraudulent email:

quote:

* If the email says ‘Winning Notification’ or ‘Lottery Sweep Stake’ in the text, the email you’ve received is not from UK National Lottery;

* We don’t tell players how much they've won in an email; and

* We don’t ask for any Player information like name, address or bank details on an email.

There is no need to contact us if you have received a lottery related scam (fraudulent) email.

As we are constantly looking to improve our communication with our players, we have now changed all our email addresses to the following:

* admin@national—lottery.co.uk

* player@national—lottery.co.uk

* play@national—lottery.co.uk

* help@national—lottery.co.uk

* play@play.national—lottery.co.uk

We will now use only these addresses to send you all important communication such as purchase confirmations and rollover alerts.

end quote

FINALLY, if it were ever found to be true, get a financial advisor asap. I can make a recommendation if necessary and tell you what to look out for so you don't end up like Gary Coleman....

good luck

It's a scam my friend I was so elated to recieve something like that in the mail and when I looked at the check I already knew it was a scam it was Premier random lotto from the Netherlands but the mail said it came from Canada and the check was made from a company in South Carolina luckily you caught it in time, so just throw it away it's B.S if they don't have a website, some standing credentials it's probably a scam and if you won the money then why do you have to send them money?

• Babs

I doubt that it's real. Try doing a reverse look up on the phone number given and see what information you get. Or, do a look up on the address & see who's listed at it. If you can't do either of these, call directory assistance and ask them for the listing for United Kingdom National Lottery. Or, you could always look in your telephone directory to verify the information you got in the email.

This sort of thing comes up from time to time where I work & I have yet to see a valid winner.

Please, do not disclose ANY of your personal information until you can verify the authenticity of the sender.

Source(s): Professional experience as a fraud investigator for a financial institution.

I received this type of email atleast 4 times from different sources for UK lottery. I shot an email to UK lottery itself and found this as a fraud. For one I pursued further,they asked me to remit GBP2000 to a bank in Manchester to open an account.

this is a total SCAM' dont believe dont send any money or disclose any bank account number

i cant remember the site link but there is one that has a list of e mail scams,i would start looking there ,if you did not inter a contest you are not a winner ,i believe this to be one of those scams,sorry .i would also post this e mail to that site for others .did you call the number or contact them ,do not give them any info ,there is a chain letter that goes around making these statements, type in ,e mail scam lotto winner

its a major scam they want you to send processing fees and you will never see any money ....BIG scam everyone gets them. how can you win something you never entered ?a news article showed how many of the scams leave people with no money in the bank because they believe this junk mail !!

It is a scam. Please do not give them your personal information!