Is the media going too far?

Almost every week these so called family sitcoms portray extremely sensitive topics. For example according to jim, george lopez, bernie mac all had episodes dealing with masturbation and sex. Why is it that these idiots have to bring these obscene topics into our living rooms, I cant begin to say how many akward moments these episodes have caused when watching with the kids. Why has no one complained against these obscenities, dosen't America care?

Update:

I'm not saying to censor it. Just don't put that material on primetime underthe guise of a family show without proper warning before the episode, since most episodes are not offensive.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

I dunno, I've never watched any of those shows for more than a few seconds. Maybe you should be a bit more selective.

• 1 decade ago

Those topics are natural parts of life.You had to have sex in order to have kids.Maybe masturbation is an uncomfortable topic for you and your family. If that's the case,then fine not every American shares your views,just like not every American shares mine.The best way to solve the problem is to pick up the remote and change the channel if you don't like the subject matter of the show your watching.There's plenty of family friendly television out there.PBS,TLC, Animal Planet and Discovery channel are all somewhat family friendly.Another hint,pick up a TV guide and see what the show is going to be about before you even start to watch it.

• 1 decade ago

I'm with you. I don't watch a lot of television because you never know what inappropriate topic will be thrown at you and your family during prime-time.

I think the apathy of the American people can be attributed to the fact that we've been desensitized to think that all that stuff is "okay." Have you seen the show on E! about the Playboy girls living with Hugh Hefner? It just amazes me that everyone thinks that is okay. Those girls must really lack the self-esteem to think that it is perfectly normal for your boyfriend to have other girlfriends. They are unwilling to demand respect and monogamy. That's just one example--I could go on and on...

Even on this answer forum, some of the topics are ridiculously offensive. I think the Internet allows people to be quasi-anonymous. Just think---if our neighbors, bosses, boyfriends, etc. could see all of our thoughts expressed on the Internet. I think so many people would be truly embarrassed...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You are aware that you can change the channel anytime you want to, right? Or, better yet, turn off the TV and go do something more constructive with your time. People complain "against these obscenities" all the time, but you know what? You have as much right to not watch the show as anyone else has the right to want to watch it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Last time I checked, all television set remotes came with an "Off" button. And all new ones have a "v chip" installed that you can program to control what your kids watch. You absolutely must realize that one man's obscenity is another man's fine art. You have no right to deny me programming of my choice. You just don't have to watch it. It's called "Freedom" and it's what makes this country the greatest! Deal with it.

• Amy
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Why are you watching these shows with your (presumably young) kids? If they are old enough, maybe these shows can provide an excuse to discuss issues facing them like sexuality and masturbation. Believe it or not, your kids are facing these issues and they appreciate the 'cover' that these shows can provide for discussion. If you don't like it, don't watch the shows.

• 1 decade ago

Is the media going too far? The "media's" job is to raise money/profits.............

More Americans ought to complain..... it is obnoxious! I'm sorry that you & your family had to be put through offensive portrayals of sensitive materials.

Ugh!

• 1 decade ago

media is a disgusting bussines, they are the tool of politicians and richies of big corporation that manipulate peoples ideas, lie to them, us, and support the one that gives more money, is disgusting, the truth for them is something that does not exist, or something disgusting that you wish you did not know exist.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.