Wanda S asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

orphaned kittens..I need help?

Is it ok to bathe orphaned baby kittens.?..They smell awful..They will be 2 weeks old tomorrow.. Also how can you get them used to a bottle, or eye dropper..they just dont like it...I hope no one gets hateful and says take them to someone who can properly take care of them...I will give myself a pat on the back..I am a faithful caretaker for these babies...I just need a little advice please...I do clean their bottoms good after each movement..

Favorite Answer

Raising orphaned kittens is extremely difficult, esp. if they are that young. I used to have a barn with lots of feral cats and occasionally tried raising abandoned litters but I never had any that young survive. They need CONSTANT care and attention. If you leave them alone to go to work, school, or sleep, they probably will not survive because they need cleaning and feeding constantly.

You are already taking care of the most important part, which is cleaning them a lot. You probably noticed they go to the bathroom almost constantly. You need to clean their bottoms but also the rest of their fur since they are going to the bathroom all over each other. Their bedding will need to be changed frequently too. Normally, the mother would be constantly licking this mess up; that is why mother cats are constantly licking their young.

Feeding with a dropper is difficult and you kind of have to force them. Get one made out of soft rubber that is as nipple-like as possible. There are lots of formulas for infant kittens available commercially. Be sure that it is warm (but not hot) and follow the directions for how much to feed them. Feed them a little more if they are not getting it all in their mouths. Don't choke them but it is OK to be a little forceful if that's what it takes to get them to eat.

I really wish you the best of luck but don't be too hard on yourself if you lose some or all of the babies. Infant kittens need so much licking, nutrition, and warmth; it is very hard to substitute what a mother cat can do, even for a vet. It's really great that you are trying though and I really hope it works out for you and the babies.

Taking care of orphans isn't an easy job, it just takes time and patience. And occasionally some help from more experienced people. It's fine to bathe them. Use warm water, mild soap, and a warm towel to dry. The bottles a little more difficult. I don't personally like droppers. Make sure the opening is wide enough so that they don't have to work too hard to get the formula out. Make sure when you feed them, feed them as if they were feeding on mom, don't put them on their back, that's not natural for them, it is for humans-not animals. Sometimes they do well with you open their mouths and place it on the bottle nipple and with a LITTLE pressure keep their heads in the same place and don't let them squirm. Good luck and I think it's great that you're putting soo much effort into little orphaned kittens!!

You really shouldn't bath them just yet I would wait until they are at least about 5 to 6 weeks old. If you have something that smells like the mother you should be able to get them to take a bottle by wrapping the bottle in it. If not you might try petting another female cat to get the smell on your skin. Also if the problem is the formula I had good luck using condensed milk thinned a little with whole milk.

Frist off congate on your new babys.2nd of all you can go to petsmart or some place like that and you can get these wipes to wash them down with.They are safe and then you are not useing water on them.Next it just takes time to get them use to the bottle or dropper.Just keep up the good work and you might want to call the local vet if you need help with them not taking the bottle.Also rember to give them a little water too.I know you mis water in there formula(if its the powered kind) but kittens need water also.And rember no matter what DO NOT GIVE THEM HUMAN MILK>Kepp up the good work and good luck with the babys.Oh by the way what did you name these little babys?

Bathe them! By all means!

Gently and dry them well.

Once they realize there is nourishment in the dropper, they will go for it. Feed them about every four hours or so and they should be ready for kitten (not cat, but kitten) food soon.

You may have to hold their mouth open and gently squeeze the dropper inside their mouth. Ask a vet to show you how if you are not confident in this.

Good luck!

Get the kitten formula mix from a pet store.

I dont think that Eid is an "Orphans" Eid. It is a happy day celebrated by Muslims all around the planet. Islam now encompasses a little over 1/3 of the world. That includes ORPHANS, parents, teachers, police, soldiers, students, engineers, doctors, etc. Your question is only a minute segment of the holidays celebration. Interesting story though. Salamualykum

you will probably will want to bate them till they are 4 weeks old, but you can wipe them down with a warm damp towel. that way they will smell better. how long have you had them on the bottle? It takes them a couple of days for them to get use to it and start sucking it like they would mom. they will reject it, but be patient. sometimes you need to squeeze a little milk in there mouth for them to realize its the kmr. also, if you rub a little Karo's syrup on there mouth that will get them to start eating better. and yes you need to stimulate them after every meal so that they go to the bathroom. if you have any other questions feel free to email me. I have bottle fed over 50 unweaned animals for the animal shelter, its takes a great person to do this.. hope you enjoy motherhood!! best of luck!

I go along with mz.creant's response, in fact gave her a thumbs up. I would also add a little bit of Gerber's baby cereal to the formula as it will give off an attractive smell as well as provide extra nutrition at this age. Sympathize with you thoroughly as you've had enough doubting Thomases to sink yo' battleship.

it is okay to bathe them when they have opened their eyes. if they haven't opened their eyes just wet a cloth with warm water and gently wipe them. to get them used to a bottle if you haven't yet bought a bottle specifically for kittens and kitten milk (you can find it at k-mart or any pet shop) an eye dropper well they won't get used to that.

Without insulting your inteligence, take them to a vet and they can be checked over for any illnessess, or infections.

Some might be ill and you might not even know it.

Plus a vet can feed them the correct stuff, in the correct amount.

They will do the same with hydration.

And also they will clean them correctly, a vet will do everything he/she can to take care of these kittens.

You cannot give them all they need, they may need medication to live for all you know.

SO PLEASE GET THEM TO A VET ASAP!

Source(s): Owner of two 6 week old kittens