What do you think of the new immigration bill's fee structure?

Below are just a sample of the fees paid in the process of obtaining a “green card” (not citizenship) when a person immigrates legally. They are only paperwork expenses and do not include misc. costs incurred in obtaining necessary documentation required, (i.e. long form birth certificates, police/fingerprint... show more Below are just a sample of the fees paid in the process of obtaining a “green card” (not citizenship) when a person immigrates legally. They are only paperwork expenses and do not include misc. costs incurred in obtaining necessary documentation required, (i.e. long form birth certificates, police/fingerprint checks, etc etc) which run into the hundreds of dollars on their own. These are just the initial application USCIS fees and do not include the hundreds of $$$ in forms/fees that are imposed by the Dept of State which must also be paid in full before a green card is issued.
Fiance application – $455 or
Relative application – $355
Biometrics - $70
Adjustment of Status – $1010 (for PR)
Advanced parole (travel) – $305
Medical exam $200-$300 + vaccination costs
Remove conditions $545 + more biometrics
Employment authorization $340

Given this info, is it excessive to ask someone who is illegal to pay $1000 and do a background check to be able to live and work here?
Update: The above fee structure applies only to the easiest and quickest route which is family based immigration (fiance, spouse, parents, minor children), obviously if an immigrant were to sponsor themselves on their own merits and/or financial position as an investor the requirements/fees are a lot higher. It makes me... show more The above fee structure applies only to the easiest and quickest route which is family based immigration (fiance, spouse, parents, minor children), obviously if an immigrant were to sponsor themselves on their own merits and/or financial position as an investor the requirements/fees are a lot higher.

It makes me wonder how many of the illegals will actually take the time and spend the $$$ to become legal, even though they are being offered an easy deal.
11 answers 11