Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds. Is Oppenheimer wrong?

Nuclear weapons don't make peace. The capability of the human race to completely annihilate itself, even when spread out among different groups, is not going to prevent war. (How many wars have we had in the last 60 years?) Nuclear weapons don't even make war. They make absolute destruction. The human race has gained the capability to not only completely destroy itself, but make the planet uninhabitable hundreds of times over. Any nation with ICBMs can kill millions anywhere in the world simply by pressing a button. So why is it unacceptable for North Korea and Iran to have nuclear weapons, but it's perfectly fine for the United States, United Kingdom, Russia, China, even Israel to have this capability? "If atomic bombs are added as new weapons to the arsenals of a warring world, or to the arsenals of nations preparing for war, then the time will come when mankind will curse the names of Los Alamos and Hiroshima. The people of this world must unite or they will perish."

"A trustable buddie with a gun in his hands, to me is not a threat. A dangerous paranoid serial killer, that revels in torture and murder, is. Now make the math."

"Because there is a platform shoe wearing nutcase running N. Korea."

So, it's better for the human race to become extinct because of an "elected" president than a dictator? Let me be perfectly clear in my point. I am not saying Iran and North Korea *should* have nuclear weapons (though under the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, it is within their rights to develop such weapons themselves), but rather that NOBODY should have nuclear weapons. The absolute power to wipe out the human race should not be granted to any person or group of people. Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

"If offensive people would declare peace, then there would be no reason to worry about the big nuclear country's having them. They are use din defense, not offense.

Maybe if people spent as much energy trying to convince extremists into becoming peaceful, then we could discuss things which help humanity.

What if the roles were reversed? if Irana nd Korea had the bomb, and no one else?"

We've seen what happens when only one country has nuclear weapons. It was not Iran or North Korea. It was the United States. You may remember hearing about this at some point, it was called Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The United States abused this absolute power, and millions died.

"I don't know but have you ever considered nuclear power in the hands of terrorists?"

My whole point is that it doesn't matter who has nuclear weapons. The term terrorist attack is a term designed to scare people. Tell me of an attack that DOESN'T scare people. And if the magnitute of the terrorist depends on the number of scared people, then the United States is the biggest group of terrorists in the world. The power to cause the destruction of the entire human race should not exist, no matter in whose hands.

"Thats a mouthfull... the problem here is that you are comparing Apples to Oranges... even the Soviets of the 40s 50s and 60s cannot be compared to the psychopaths that rule North Korea and Iran today..."

I'll say it again. It doesn't matter who has them. If your home town was nuked tomorrow, would you care if it was the action of the United States or someone else? I hope not. I'd be more concerned with the fact that my home town was just nuked. (Or I'd be dead.)

"Now make the math."

Sorry, Euclid already did that.

Fine, I'll stop being idealistic. No nukes would be nice, but it's unlikely that'll ever happen. Realistically, what I see as important is one of Oppenhemier's later points. That "The people of this world must unite or they will perish." As globalization progresses, we keep trying to deal with increasingly globalized problems as nations. Global warming and nuclear weapons, to name a few, could be dealt with nationally, but the only real effective way to deal with them is globally.

The one thing I do outright disagree with, however, is that Iran cannot be allowed to develop nuclear weapons. International Law says they HAVE to be. Though the US has been, you cannot just selectively ignore international law. If the leaders of Iran and North Korea really are so bad (they are), then they should be removed for their violations of international law, but violating it ourselves is not the solution.

The US has been ignoring international law for a while (anti-ICBM treaty, nuclear non-proliferation, anti-mine, etc), and this creates resentment among the rest of the world, along with the constant covert and overt military meddling in other countries. Iran being the most disturbing example in my mind, where we overthrew a democratically elected parlament, led by Dr. Mossadeq, and installed a monarchy, which was replaced by the current islamic republic. The majority of Iranians want democracy, and someone, namely the US, since it is our fault in the first place, should be the ones to restore it. We need to return to being a role model for the world, like with the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 in China. The protesters set up a 30 ft statue resembling the Statue of Liberty, that they called the Goddess of Democracy and Freedom. With not only our external meddling, but our internal policies such as the Military Commisions Act, how can we remain the role model for the world?

Best Answer

Yeah!

LOL

• Ryan F

That's a mouth-full... the problem here is that you are comparing Apples to Oranges... even the Soviets of the 40s 50s and 60s cannot be compared to the psychopaths that rule North Korea and Iran today...

My point is that the Russians, British, and Americans are developed, modern societies who are not likely to actually use nuclear weapons while the people in control of Iran believe that they are the people of God and that it is their specific destiny to conquer the world and kill anyone who doesn't believe in Islam and that this justifies the use of suicide bombings, children in combat, killing of innocent civilians and the use of WMDs including nuclear weapons... the leader of North Korea is "building" a society that views the U.S. and our allies as pure evil; they are told that they are the "Great Society" and that one day they will destroy the evil U.S. and conquer the world... you can argue that NO-ONE should have nuclear weapons and many people would agree with you but however you feel about the issue doesn't really matter because you must realize that Iran and North Korea CANNOT be allowed to develop nuclear weapons...

Also the US did not abuse nuclear weaponry in the bombings of Hrishima and Nagasaki. It is a well known fact that more Japanese were being killed by conventional bombing raids than were killed in both atomic explosions. The bombs that fell on Hiroshima and Nagasaki allowed the US to avoid having to invade Japan which intelligence at the time estimated would have cost something like 10 million lives on both sides(1.4 to 4 million allied). The use of atomic weaponry at the end of WWII saved lives by ending the most destructive and deadly conflict in human history...

• An6 years agoReport

People cannot be allowed to commit crime like murder but some people break these law.Iran and North Korea can break this too by disobeying that international law.He might be talking about a fictional history possibility rather than actual fiction.

Yes he was wrong on several points.

1) We have not colonized other planets, so he would become the destroyer of a world, not worlds.

2) I don’t believe countries will target the ocean much, so we may change the landscape a bit and wipe out species, but as for destroying the planet, that is a bit much. Things will survive, but not necessarily us.

Yes, let’s outlaw nuclear weapons. It has worked so well with other crimes. You never hear of someone getting murdered anymore, since it is against the law. Yes, I am being sarcastic. I would rather have a hand full of people with the power to destroy millions than several hundred who would without doubt pop them off at random whenever they got invaded or pissed off.

Sorry, the technology is already here, can’t wind back the clock and get rid of them. It sounds like we need some sort of ICBM shield or something. :P

If offensive people would declare peace, then there would be no reason to worry about the big nuclear country's having them. They are use din defense, not offense.

What if the roles were reversed? if Irana nd Korea had the bomb, and no one else?

yikes.

Yes there is. The reason you see ghosts and things like that on the History Channel and many other places is because we are supposed to be getting slowly prepared for what evidence we will get in the future. Nothing is used as a form of media on accident. You either get lured into buying things, etc. but i'm not getting into all that. Yes, ufos, ghosts, spirits, everything is real and someday we will all know this you just need to be prepared.

True. Either they invented these destroying forces to fight against possible alien attacks in the late future, they might just use it to create another unknown dimension which who knows are alike heaven. Sometime some destroying things are there for special purposes. Fire burns... but with good control, they are of great use for mankind. Without fire, man won't live to cook. So who knows, maybe we need that special occasion for the use of atomic bombs to either wipe out mankind and all existing living creatures to make way for future possible new species, we can just hope that some day it might be use to protect us. Who knows, maybe one day the sun got suck into the black hole and use will be using atomic bombs to create that light and heat that we are enjoying now. We will never know... do we?

A trustable buddie with a gun in his hands, to me is not a threat. A dangerous paranoid serial killer, that revels in torture and murder, is. Now make the math.

Because there is a platform shoe wearing nutcase running N. Korea.

I don't know but have you ever considered nuclear power in the hands of terrorists?

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,

Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,

While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,

As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.

"'Tis some visiter," I muttered, "tapping at my chamber door --

Only this, and nothing more."

Ah, distinctly I remember it was in the bleak December,

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

Eagerly I wished the morrow; -- vainly I had tried to borrow

From my books surcease of sorrow -- sorrow for the lost Lenore --

For the rare and radiant maiden whom the angels name Lenore --

Nameless here for evermore.

And the silken sad uncertain rustling of each purple curtain

Thrilled me -- filled me with fantastic terrors never felt before;

So that now, to still the beating of my heart, I stood repeating

"'Tis some visiter entreating entrance at my chamber door --

Some late visiter entreating entrance at my chamber door; --

This it is, and nothing more."

Presently my soul grew stronger; hesitating then no longer,

"Sir," said I, "or Madam, truly your forgiveness I implore;

But the fact is I was napping, and so gently you came rapping,

And so faintly you came tapping, tapping at my chamber door,

That I scarce was sure I heard you " -- here I opened wide the door; ----

Darkness there and nothing more.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,

Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;

But the silence was unbroken, and the darkness gave no token,

And the only word there spoken was the whispered word, "Lenore!"

This I whispered, and an echo murmured back the word, "Lenore!" --

Merely this, and nothing more.

Then into the chamber turning, all my soul within me burning,

Soon I heard again a tapping somewhat louder than before.

"Surely," said I, "surely that is something at my window lattice;

Let me see, then, what thereat is, and this mystery explore --

Let my heart be still a moment and this mystery explore;--

'Tis the wind and nothing more!"

Open here I flung the shutter, when, with many a flirt and flutter,

In there stepped a stately raven of the saintly days of yore;

Not the least obeisance made he; not an instant stopped or stayed he;

But, with mien of lord or lady, perched above my chamber door --

Perched upon a bust of Pallas just above my chamber door --

Perched, and sat, and nothing more.

Then this ebony bird beguiling my sad fancy into smiling,

By the grave and stern decorum of the countenance it wore,

"Though thy crest be shorn and shaven, thou," I said, "art sure no craven,

Ghastly grim and ancient raven wandering from the Nightly shore --

Tell me what thy lordly name is on the Night's Plutonian shore!"

Quoth the raven "Nevermore."

Much I marvelled this ungainly fowl to hear discourse so plainly,

Though its answer little meaning -- little relevancy bore;

For we cannot help agreeing that no sublunary being

Ever yet was blessed with seeing bird above his chamber door --

Bird or beast upon the sculptured bust above his chamber door,

With such name as "Nevermore."

But the raven, sitting lonely on the placid bust, spoke only

That one word, as if his soul in that one word he did outpour.

Nothing further then he uttered -- not a feather then he fluttered --

Till I scarcely more than muttered "Other friends have flown before --

On the morrow he will leave me, as my hopes have flown before."

Quoth the raven "Nevermore."

Wondering at the stillness broken by reply so aptly spoken,

"Doubtless," said I, "what it utters is its only stock and store

Caught from some unhappy master whom unmerciful Disaster

Followed fast and followed faster so when Hope he would adjure --

Stern Despair returned, instead of the sweet Hope he dared adjure --

That sad answer, "Never -- nevermore."

But the raven still beguiling all my sad soul into smiling,

Straight I wheeled a cushioned seat in front of bird, and bust and door;

Then, upon the velvet sinking, I betook myself to linking

Fancy unto fancy, thinking what this ominous bird of yore --

What this grim, ungainly, ghastly, gaunt and ominous bird of yore

Meant in croaking "Nevermore."

This I sat engaged in guessing, but no syllable expressing

To the fowl whose fiery eyes now burned into my bosom's core;

This and more I sat divining, with my head at ease reclining

On the cushion's velvet lining that the lamp-light gloated o'er,

But whose velvet violet lining with the lamp-light gloating o'er,

She shall press, ah, nevermore!

Then, methought, the air grew denser, perfumed from an unseen censer

Swung by Angels whose faint foot-falls tinkled on the tufted floor.

"Wretch," I cried, "thy God hath lent thee -- by these angels he hath sent thee

Respite -- respite and nepenthe, from thy memories of Lenore;

Let me quaff this kind nepenthe and forget this lost Lenore!"

Quoth the raven "Nevermore."

"Prophet!" said I, "thing of evil! -- prophet still, if bird or devil! --

Whether Tempter sent, or whether tempest tossed thee here ashore,

Desolate yet all undaunted, on this desert land enchanted --

On this home by Horror haunted -- tell me truly, I implore --

Is there -- is there balm in Gilead? -- tell me -- tell me, I implore!"

Quoth the raven "Nevermore."

"Prophet!" said I, "thing of evil -- prophet still, if bird or devil!

By that Heaven that bends above us -- by that God we both adore --

Tell this soul with sorrow laden if, within the distant Aidenn,

It shall clasp a sainted maiden whom the angels name Lenore --

Clasp a rare and radiant maiden whom the angels name Lenore."

Quoth the raven "Nevermore."

"Be that word our sign in parting, bird or fiend!" I shrieked, upstarting --

"Get thee back into the tempest and the Night's Plutonian shore!

Leave no black plume as a token of that lie thy soul hath spoken!

Leave my loneliness unbroken! -- quit the bust above my door!

Take thy beak from out my heart, and take thy form from off my door!"

Quoth the raven "Nevermore."

And the raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting

On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door;

And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon that is dreaming,

And the lamp-light o'er him streaming throws his shadow on the floor;

And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor

Shall be lifted -- nevermore!