What opportunities for public speaking are available in university?

Ask an ancient Greek what the most shocking aspect of our school system is, and he will tell you it is the fact that public speaking is not a mandatory course. In fact, he would argue that we should spend as much time in public speaking class as we do studying mathematics or history. Next year, when I enter my... show more Ask an ancient Greek what the most shocking aspect of our school system is, and he will tell you it is the fact that public speaking is not a mandatory course. In fact, he would argue that we should spend as much time in public speaking class as we do studying mathematics or history. Next year, when I enter my first year of university, I would like to have the chance to speak in public. Not only will I be able to impress any Greek time-travellers, but I will also gain a skill that I believe is still one of the most vital today. My question is this: what opportunities are available in university, either inside or outside the regular timetable, that would enhance one’s public speaking ability?

Thank you,

A.M.