Mainatlas asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Reunited Cat Siblings? Will they regonize each other?

Hello I went through a lot to find a good owner to give away two female kittens (12 and half) weeks old. I will be keeping the rest of the bundle of joy because I don't want to give them away and I know I will be taking good care of them including the mother cat as well. I love cats. Now my question goes to anyone, later on maybe , lets say 5 months from here, if I visit the two female kittens and bringing thier mother and two other siblings( brothers) Of course all spayed and neautered, do you think they will regonize each other? They are now so close and I know the two female kittens are going to miss thier siblings. So does anybody think they will reunited with joy or will they act like strangers. Thank you

Best Answer

I dropped by to show off my beautiful grown boy to the folks I got him from when he was a kitten and he had a hissy. He didn't remember them or even his own mom. Sorry, I doubt you get a happy reuion.

Someone here said that cats do not retain feelings or emotions. THAT is not true! However I think the best advice comes from those who said it will depend largely on the cats in question. Like people cats have different personality types and different priorities. As a rule cats are very tied to routine. They like to know who's who and what's what in their lives. Therefore a reunion could upset the established order of things and result in some hissing and such. Also as someone with siblings I can tell you that while I love them I am not always thrilled to see them. In this case like someone said, if the cats in question are fairly easy going the reunion will probably go OK. On the other hand if someone is territorial then the family will simply be viewed as competition.

I volunteer at an animal shelter and when we have reunited siblings the reaction varies. Sometimes the siblings get along with each other and sometimes the do not...it all depends on the cats personalities. IF the cat gets along well with other cats in general it is more likely to get along with the reunited sibling. If the cat is aloof and territorial then it will not be all that happy to see the sibling...sort of like an only child who now gets a new sibling and has to share.

This happened to me. I adopted Peachy. My friend adopted Buttons. . My parents adopted Schnooky. They were all brothers from the same litter.

P and S would play together every weekend when I would visit my parents. When I didn't bring P, S would be very upset and look for his carrier. My husband and I moved, and didn't need to bring P with us and P and S eventually became strangers.

We adopted Buttons when my friend retired, and we hoped he would remember P after a year's separation. They didn't know each other and spent the next six years fighting over who was more dominant which caused a great deal of stress in our home. So I would say, it has a lot to do with how much time they're separated not to mention what the temperment of each cat is like. P was used to sharing us and his home with others. B was an 'only' pet with no other people but my friend, so it was very stressful for him and in hindsight, not fair for us to have such expectations.

• Kayty

It's hard to say. I think they will recognize each other by smell, but whether they will be glad to see each other is a bigger question.

Cats in a feral (unowned) situation form colonies that are rather like prides of lions...the females remain together all their lives, and most of the males go off on their own or in pairs, usually of brothers. So the female cats from the litter you raised and their mother may be glad to see each other, the males may be glad to see their mother, and the males may ignore each other or act aggressive.

The longer they are apart, of course, the less likely they are to recognize each other. And territoriality is a factor...cats coming to visit at the home of other cats are often seen as invading rivals, not welcome guests. A neutral place for the reunion would be a good idea.

Also bear in mind that starting at about 12 weeks, the mother cat wants to wean her kittens and will start avoiding them, refusing to let them nurse and swatting or even biting them if they persist. She will be happier to see her kittens again after several weeks have gone by and they won't try to nurse from her.

PS...cats do have intelligence, emotions, and a surprisingly complex social structure. I think everyone is familiar with "bonded pairs" of cats, dogs, horses, elephants, who are so attached to each other that they grieve deeply iof they are separated.

Source(s): I work at a vet hospital and have had cats all my life.

No they will not know one another. They will be strangers. I once had a cat that I rescued and she was pregnant when I got her. I gave the kittens away, and 2 weeks later one of the owners decided to bring the kitten back. After 2 weeks the mother cat did not know her baby and did not like her baby.. They are not people, they do not retain feelings or emotions.

• j c

No, they won't be happy to be reunited. They will not recognize each other & will view them as intruders so will most likely hiss. The mom won't recognize the kittens & the littermates won't recognize each other. Please get mom cat spayed (also get the kittens you are keeping spayed & neutered if you keep them). The mom can be pregnant again already so please do this or you will soon have more than you know what to do with; there are not enough homes, call Humane Society or SPCA & ask for info on low cost spay/neuter programs in your area if you can't afford the vet.

Source(s): i'm an nimal rescue volunteer.

Cats have a very short memory span. It's possible the will be imprinted on the family, but even so, the bond will likely have been reduced after five months. What I think is more likely is that they will either be indifferent to each other or act very territorial.

I tried reuniting my cat with one of his siblings and they both hissed at each other. Granted, they were much older when we tried it...in the timeframe that you want to do this, it might work since they won't be too old. You might want to take it slow though, don't just rush in the house with the whole 'clan' in case it doesn't work. Good luck!

They likely won't - that's what cats do in the wild - they grow up and lose that bond, and don't miss them or think about them. You can try and see though - it is possible!