Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 1 decade ago

Can you really get sick from eating raw cookie dough or cake batter?

i grew up eating the stuff and nothing has ever happened to me!!?!

Favorite Answer

In theory raw eggs can contain salmonella -however the egg industry is very regulated and the chances are very low. Also if you do eat something with salmonella there is a chance that your immune system will kill it without you ever getting sick. I haven't seen any actual statistics on this as to what percentage will get sick. But even when a town water system is contaminated with something like e coli MOST people do not get ill).

The other thought is that raw flour can contain eggs for certain worms and insects. Weevils are common though as far as I know weevils do not infect humans and the eggs die in stomach acid. I do not know specifically what in raw flour people are concerned about but it is cited more and more frequently. However I have eaten tonnes of raw batters of all kinds over the years and never gotten sick. I also do all sorts of "dangerous" things like eat my eggs over easy (or even raw in shakes) and my lamb medium rare.

Source(s): Oh good gawd people salmonella is "deadly" As per the CDC: "A person infected with the Salmonella enteritidis bacterium usually has fever, abdominal cramps, and diarrhea beginning 12 to 72 hours after consuming a contaminated food or beverage. The illness usually lasts 4 to 7 days, and most persons recover without antibiotic treatment. However, the diarrhea can be severe, and the person may be ill enough to require hospitalization. The elderly, infants, and those with impaired immune systems may have a more severe illness. In these patients, the infection may spread from the intestines to the blood stream, and then to other body sites and can cause death unless the person is treated promptly with antibiotics. " http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/salment... So umm yeah if you have a weakened immune system AND are violently ill AND fail to seek treatment it may kill you -or I suppose if we run out of antibiotics, I know they are so rare.
    • Madisyn6 years agoReport

I would just like to say I had salmonella and I pooped put my lower intestines so dont make it sound just like the flu

Eating Raw Cookie Dough

1

Source(s): Delicious Paleo Recipes Cookbook - http://PaleoCookbook.raiwi.com/?wCiD

Raw Cookie Dough

There is a slight chance you can get salmonella from the eggs. This is rare and never has stopped anyone from eating cake batter or cookie dough. So if you want to continue to eat both go for it, there is a very slim chance something will happen.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): sick eating raw cookie dough cake batter: https://tr.im/bi11d

If you want raw batter, make some, but leave out the eggs and add a bit more water/milk. It tastes the same and you can get your pleasure without getting sick.

Have you already tried out Eating for Energy (120 raw food diet recipes) process? Start this url : http://www.StayEatingRaw.com/Support . Possibly this could immediately instruct you!

Yes, you can. It has been found that Salmonella can invade intact eggs without any trace. Doesn't occur very often, but it is a real risk. People have been eating raw dough and batter for centuries and some have suffered from salmonellosis.

However, there is a way around it today. You can buy eggs in the shell that have been pasteurized. Pasteurization kills Salmonella and (unless you recontaminate them) they would make dough/batter that is safe to eat.

Source(s): 30 years in food quality and food safety management, food toxicology, and food sanitation.

They both have raw egg ingredients in them, so yes...but only if the eggs are contaminated.

The chances of getting salmonella is really slim, and from what I've read you can only get this if the eggs had something wrong with them to begin with.

yea. There is a CHANCE that you can get sick. The raw eggs can make you sick. Its this thing called Salmonella. Salmonella is a bacteria that can be on raw or undercooked eggs. The heat when you cook it kills them so if it is cooked correctly its okay.