Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 1 decade ago

Why is it when we say no...?

My four month old bit me yesterday while I was nursing. She has no teeth so it really just caught me off guard. But to try to get her to not do it again I gently tapped her chin and firmly said no. The look on her face BROKE MY HEART!!! She did that frowny face and she look so upset! My son who is two does the saame face. Why is it when they do something wrong and we tell them no they can still melt our hearts with that look!?!?!?

Favorite Answer

K what you're supposed to do when they do that is.....

Firmly say no and take her away from the breast for a minute.

If she does it again, say no and put her down and nursing time is over.

It wont take long for her to figure out that biting = no milk.

Don't make too big a deal of it ( if you can help it) so that your reaction doesn't amuse or intrigue her.

And they make that face to torchure us...lol. My son does it too and it just kills me!

Source(s): Luke's Mom

Don't bother trying to discipline her now. She doesn't understand, and won't start understanding any of it until between 6 and 9 months of age. Before that, it's futile. She's was probably teething and just wanted something to chew. It's really not her fault and she'll probably do it again many times.

Now, as for your actual question it's because we are mushy, sentimental, emotional schmucks and anything our children do at those ages is the sweetest- even if they're pulling kitty's tail!

Because deep inside we know that they don't really understand yet. By the time they are 4 or 5 that look won't be as effective on you anymore.

• that is their jobs to put on the innocent face and act and make us give in to everything my children get away with it sometimes but you have to stand firm