I have severe headaches triggered by tropical storms. Does anyone know why or have the same problem?

I live in the northeast and when there are tropical storms I get severe headaches across between cluster and migraine. I can tell if a storm is coming about as fast as the weather station or faster. The severity of the storm is not always related to the severity of the headache. Barry is a killer and I felt it coming over aweek ago.

It does not have anything to do with barometric pressure I fly privately and commercially. I also am a scuba diver and no problems I live in the Northeast a 1000++ miles from the storm

Favorite Answer

Two possibilities: the barometric pressure gets very low with a severe storm, and your sinuses or ears may not equalize pressure well. There are also massive amounts of electrical activity

connected with thunderstorms, and this may effect you. It could be both of them together.

They are barometric migraines, I too live in the northeast. I have suffered from migraines since a child. In the winter they are excrutiating, causing me to go to the ER. I felt like my head was exploding.Many of these headaches are caused more from a sinus issue than an actual neurological problem like classic migraines. I take medicine for the migraines, however, the doctor said if they continue they will have to put me on something very strong like Depakote which they use for Epilepsy.

Source(s): Fellow Sufferer

Some people are more suseptable to being affected by weather than others. Whenever it rains, my sinuses go crazy. You may have a sinus problem. When it rains, the air becomes more dense. This causes pressure in your head and sometimes in your facial muscles. I've found that a great solution is are sinus pills or suphedrene and tylenol.

Whoa I get these kinds of headaches too! Only they tell me when something bad is about to happen. It is a gift that is very very painful. By the way if the thing is really bad it is a killer migraine.

Your headaches are caused by the changes in the pressure in the atmosphere. I get the same thing and I know a few other people who are sensitive to atmospheric pressure.

I also have a barometer in my brain. Late afternoon thunder storms usually cause a migraine, as do really humid days. changes in the seasons are also crappy. Unfortunately, I haven't found anything that really works for these attacks.

I normally get headaches each spring and fall. Daily. The changes in the barometer I guess. Something changes in the atomosphere and some people are more sensitive to it than other I guess.

• Sherry

Hospitals are useless unless you really get on to them to run tests, ignore anything they say. To me it sounds serious, and I'd say dont wait for the Zpack, get it checked out. Better safe than sorry, and even if you do sound like an idiot to your doctor at least your making sure its nothing serious. Hope I helped.

Wow, you are a natural Barometer!

But definitely as the others mentioned, possibly due to air pressure.

You are sensitive to rapid pressure changes. It's usually related to the sinus but could also be caused by implants (metal rod in my leg does it for me). Ask your doctor.