Is Microsoft Access right for me?

Hi there

I need to program an inventory module for a manufacturing company. It must be operated in a multi user environment with authentication (e.g. passwords). I would also like to build a fool proof interface (rather than use Access Forms). It would operate via corporate intranet.

Is Access right for me or should I be using another program? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Ryan

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Access isn't great for multiple accesses due to the bandwidth it uses & the file locking approach. In many of the corporate environments I've worked in ( support & developement ), use of multi-user Access is a disciplinary offense due to the network impact.

An easier way would be to configure a SQL instance ( eg. MySQL ) & create a website front end to it. If your not happy with web design from scratch, use a template off the internet / Frontpage / etc.

You can easily manage security access by having a logon to your IIS instance & setting user permissions in your SQL instance.

Hope this helps.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Access is the biggest turd Microsoft ever crapped out. The only scenario that access comes close to making sense is in a single user, desktop setting... It does not scale at all. Even in the aforementioned scenerio, Microsoft sql server 2005 express edition, or one of the light versions of MySQL make more sense.

If I were going to do this, I write the application in asp.net with a sql server 2005 standard edition back end.

This would allow it to scale to hundreds of users on the system at the same time. It would also let you validate your user input any way you want, making it very idiot proof for the end user.

This would also solve your headache of installation & tech support. Since the thing you wrote is only one one or two servers & the users just use a web browser to connect using an internal ip address or machine name via a bookmark, you will not have to worry so much about the individual computers it will be 'installed' on. That's more of an internal maintenance issue if the computer can't run firefox or IE.

Asp.net comes in 2 flavors, c# and visual basic. Most people find that visual basic is an easier beginners language, but both are equally powerful and many experienced programmers find that they like c# more. I'm indifferent on the subject, other than to say here on the east cost, there are way more c# gigs than vb.

• 1 decade ago

Access is not right for anyone. It is not a true database and has so many limitations that it will cause an unending headache while it is the backend to your solution.

If I were in your situation I would use SQL Server 2005 as the database and design a web based front end using ASP.Net with C# or VB.Net, depending on your comfort levels.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No! It does not scale well, and is poor for network use, you are better off with mysql and a web interface, php is best. It is so simple to set up a web server with these, and will save a lot of problems in the future.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I hate Access. We switched over to File Pro.

Check it out and see if will work for your company!

• 3 years ago

get entry to and Excel are very distinctive from word and Powerpoint. you is only no longer waiting to faux understanding a thank you to apply them. If the interest demands someone who's as much as velocity at cutting-edge, you won't be qualified. that's a competent ingredient to renowned in the previous you get employed and lose credibility (and likely your interest) interior an extremely short volume of time. besides the shown fact that, you are able to actual enable them to renowned your cutting-edge MS workplace experience and your ability in word and Powerpoint. Then state which you're keen to check the different 2 as today as accessible. some employers (like primary autos) supply MS workplace suites for as low as $10 for his or her workers use AT homestead. it is so as that they are able to coach using it and save up with what's used on the interest. (it relatively is MS way of bobbing up specific that all of us else keeps paying interior the direction of the nostril something of the time.) besides, the business enterprise you're watching is additionally keen to hire you to your different skills in case you're keen to take instructions and are a rapid learner. you are able to seem online and hit upon a direction available that starts quickly (or at cutting-edge) and is as finished as accessible in as short a time as accessible. (extra on that decrease than.) Then be arranged via rehearsing something to declare whilst this comes up interior the interview. as an occasion, state certainly (and succinctly) which you're no longer conscious of get entry to and Excel, yet you're a rapid learner, are have checked into and are keen to take a direction (call it in specific) to deliver you as much as velocity as today as accessible. State which you have faith your different skills might make this jointly effective employment and which you got here to the interview hoping to have the prospect to coach that. i've got coated a link for Microsoft workplace's very own loose online self-education internet site. you additionally can pick to look up paid amenities in the previous day after today, so which you would be able to confer with those if asked. submit to in ideas that in the event that they outright state which you're no longer qualified for that place, you're able to ask in the event that they have yet another place that could extra effective healthful your skills, and to maintain you in ideas interior the destiny. Even a referral to a distinctive enterprise or a guideline on a job extra effective suitable is a invaluable commodity presently. and that i do wish you may get the interest.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.