promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
cait asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

describe one key scene from les miserables that corresponds with the french revolution?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Jebbie
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

When you say "scene" I'm assuming then, that you're referring to the musical and not the novel.

Les Miserables was a novel about a student insurrection that happened prior to the French revolution. I suppose if any scene foreshadowed the French revolution it would be the one where Enjolras and the students discuss organizing their barracade. In the musical it is the same scene where Marius comes in and announces he has fallen in love with Cosette.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Actually, you'll want to doublecheck this. There were actually multiple french revolutions. After the original one (late 1700s, there was another in 1848 and I believe there was another around 1870, but you'll want to check on that. I don't have my copy of Les Mis any more, but I thought mine said in the introduction that the novel was actually set during the uprising of 1848, not what we think of as the french revolution.

• 1 decade ago

To save an innocent man, Valjean gives himself up and is imprisoned in Toulon. He escapes and adopts Cosette, an illegitimate child of a poor woman, Fantine. Cosette grows up and falls in love with Marius, who is wounded during a revolutionary fight.

• 1 decade ago

My favorite is when during the battle, Valjean saves Javert from being killed by the students and lets him go.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.